FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to AE and Back Disconnects Media?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Essers
FCP to AE and Back Disconnects Media?
on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:14:23 pm

I had a weird one last night. FCP disconnected from some media and never fully recovered. Here's the sequence of events:

- captured about an hour of DV footage in FCP
- Edited a sequence over a couple of days' time
- finished the edit and decided to create some motion graphics in AE CS4
- launched AE, imported my original footage to create a new comp
- switched back to FCP to check an edit point to find the media disconnected and offline
- closed AE without saving
- closed FCP without saving
- reopened FCP sequence - all media still offline. Reconnected media, but about 40% could not be found (within the single file)

No amount of not-saving, reverting to older auto-saved projects, re-connecting, etc. ever got the sequence back. There was a lot of time-remapping and reversed footage in the sequence and it seems those were the edits that went missing if that sheds any light.

I ended up staying up half the night to redo the edit and output the final, but I still want to know what happened and what I did wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks, guys.
Charlie

Return to posts index

David Heidelberger
Re: FCP to AE and Back Disconnects Media?
on Aug 20, 2010 at 5:23:44 am

Hi Charlie,

I had a similar issue, where after bringing some clips into After Effects, the whole FCP project flashed offline, although I think it automatically reconnected, can't remember. Anyway, I'm pretty sure, although not positive, that the issue has something to do with a setting in After Effects called "Write XMP IDs to Files on Import." Since that's presumably modifying the files (I remember that it changed the date modified property of the files), I think that was causing Final Cut to hiccup. You can disable that setting in the After Effects preferences under "Media and Disk Cache."

- David

Return to posts index

Charlie Essers
Re: FCP to AE and Back Disconnects Media?
on Aug 20, 2010 at 5:58:48 am

Wow! Yes. Preferences > Media & Disk Cache > Write XMP data... I will attempt to recreate the error (!). Thanks for the reply, David.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]