FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making dvd from fcp on idvd

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Laudien
Making dvd from fcp on idvd
on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:23:09 am

What is the best work flow to make the best quality dvd coming out of fcp 1080i 16 x 9 project to idvd. Thanks

Kelly

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Making dvd from fcp on idvd
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:09:55 am

Best quality and iDVD, I think that is an oxymoron.

You would want to use Compressor to downconvert your sequence to SD, and to encode the video into m2v as well as the audio into ac3 files. Some people recommend do the downconversion before the encoding process in FCP. Ease and best normally don't walk hand in hand.

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:32:51 am

Hi Michael, I've just been exporting as quicktime, not changing any settings and dropping straight into idvd and it's been working ok.
Will I see a better result if I use the compressor method you described? My settings are the same as Kelly's.

S Bedford, Western Australia

Return to posts index

brandon smits
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:09:48 pm

Shannon,

It depends on your settings when you output, and the format of your media, but in general the process Michael described is the best way to output for DVD. If you use iDVD to encode you do give up control which is less than ideal. Dive into the minutia, learn what is going on behind the scenes of iDVD!

8core Mac Pro Early '08 Xeon 2.8 14gb RAM
Apogee Ensemble
JBL LSR 4328 Surround Set up
Euphonix Artist Series Mc Control, Mc Mix, Mc Transport
All wired with Mogami Cable

Return to posts index

Kelly Laudien
on Aug 21, 2010 at 2:47:53 pm

ok I'll Bite so idvd is giving up control, if I was going to buy an authoring software and I'm using fcp what does everybody think is the best and not horrible complicated that it will take me 2 years to learn and appreciate all the features :)

Return to posts index

Ted Scarlett
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:18:16 pm

This is what I've been doing also and it works just fine. However I can't fit all of my data onto the DVD as I exceed the limit because of so much video. Do I need to compress the files again in compressor after exporting as QT mov? I've tried compressing them to MP2 format in compressor but.....then I'm unable to use them in iDVD? Help please!

Return to posts index

Shannon Bedford
on Dec 21, 2010 at 4:35:39 am

Michael can you tell me, is there any difference creating the compressor files directly from FCP versus exporting a quicktime first and then converting?
It seems to take a hell of a lot longer doing it direct from FCP and that's edit time I can't afford to lose.
If the difference is noticable I'll do overnight conversions for the "special" projects.
Cheers

S Bedford, Western Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]