FORUMS: list search recent posts

clean install

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joel conder
clean install
on Aug 19, 2010 at 12:21:51 am

Hi,
im having a lot of problems with my mac pro. even more since i just upgraded to snow leopard. I really want to start fresh. only problem is i dont have any of the disks for my applications or the original start up disks for my mac. what can i do?? i have read about clean installs and using migration assistant being able to backup my applications. can some one break it down nice and simple how i go about this as i cant afford to lose everything as i earn my living from my mac. any help would be much appreciated :)

thanks

Joel Conder

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: clean install
on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:19:13 am

I'm kind of in the same boat although I'll need my sys admin to install programs like the adobe suite...I'm interested in hearing the responses...

The biggest issue for me is that it took me 6 hours last time to install the FCP suite. That is a ton of time to eat up not getting work done.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:12:33 am

You can buy software discs from Apple or Adobe independent of buying another software license. Most big software developers do this nowadays since people simply lose their discs sometimes, but losing a disc doesn't mean you've surrendered your license (you're paying for the software/license, not the $2 DVDs). I don't recall exactly how much they cost, but it's not much ($20?).

My opinion (developed by learning the hard way) is that a clean install is always best when installing a new O/S or large professional software suite like FCS or CS. At the same time, down time is obviously bad so one way to get around it is by installing the new software on a second drive whilst leaving the already functioning installs alone ... hard drives are cheap, down time isn't.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 19, 2010 at 7:16:15 am

"You can buy software discs from Apple or Adobe independent of buying another software license"

True but I'm betting is they lost the disks they also lost their licence key. Or they never had one in the first place.

Ether way DO NOT do a migration when it comes to Pro Apps. Pro Apps install things into the OS that do no transfer or do not transfer well in a migration. And you will likely have additional problems.

Plus a migration will just bring over your current problems and like I said probably add some new ones.

So buy replacement disks, or actualy buy the software what ever the case may be. Back up your data and completely erase the machine and start over new.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

joel conder
on Aug 19, 2010 at 9:44:02 am

thanks for your replys...
i guess than my main problem now then is the fact i dont have the original install discs for my mac. do i need these or can i just use the snow leopard disc? if not i will have to try and get this from apple.

Joel Conder

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Aug 19, 2010 at 8:06:01 pm

My suggestion that "a clean install is always best" seems to have been misunderstood and/or taken out of context so, just to clarify, what I was getting at is installing a new O/S version and new software suite on a new drive that is independent of the existing software installs and drive (which obviously still requires significant time, although less than the alternatives, in my experience).

The idea is a clean install of everything, yet without discarding the functional and stable setup before the new setup has been fully job tested. This approach may not be possible in every circumstance, but I still believe it to be the best option when available.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: clean install slightly OT
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:30:00 am

"The biggest issue for me is that it took me 6 hours last time to install the FCP suite. That is a ton of time to eat up not getting work done."

Really? That is just silly.
It is completely unrealistic not to budget time for maintenance, and 6 hours once or twice a year is not a lot. Would you fly on a plane that the owner thought they couldn't afford some down time to do inspections/repairs?
If your self employed, you should not only budget time for things like this, but doing Quickbooks, marketing, professional development, etc.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: clean install slightly OT
on Aug 19, 2010 at 11:14:29 am

Silly? Well...that is only ONE piece of software...so add in office suite, cs4, qt7, the OS, and about 20 other programs...that is much more than 6hrs.

And I guess I just expect my dual processor 8 core computer with 16gb of ram to be really fast. But I guess I expected flying cars by now :)

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:20:16 pm

[joel conder] "i guess than my main problem now then is the fact i dont have the original install discs for my mac. do i need these or can i just use the snow leopard disc?"

You can use just the snow leapord install disc to rebuild your system from scratch...but iLife apps will not be installed. So no iphoto. imovie etc etc. I never use those apps on a work machine so It's never been a problem for me.

[walter biscardi] "Wiping the entire system and clean and re-installing everything fresh always boosts the performance of the system and keeps everything running well."

It's much easier to invest the time in preventing problems before they happen. There's nothing worse than having huge problems arise with your system when you are working on tight deadlines.

[Jason Brown] "The biggest issue for me is that it took me 6 hours last time to install the FCP suite. That is a ton of time to eat up not getting work done."

If you want the process of rebuilding to go faster just plan ahead. I made disc images of all my software install discs and keep them on a FW drive. When I need to install studio apps on a machine at the office i just mount the images and the process takes a fraction of the time. Also anytime Anyone downloads any type of installer from the web...even if it's just a flash player...they they put the orginal dmg file in a special place...that I later transfer to the same drive. This way all of the stuff I need to rebuild a system (as far as software is concerned) is in one convenient location.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 19, 2010 at 3:15:33 am

Without your disc you cannot do a clean install, period. If you clone your drive and then migrate you are not doing a clean install.

The only thing you can do is to trash all the preferences but that is no where near the same thing.

[joel conder] "only problem is i dont have any of the disks for my applications or the original start up disks for my mac."
Sorry you are SOOL

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:34:18 am

[joel conder] "only problem is i dont have any of the disks for my applications or the original start up disks for my mac"

Then you're out of luck. A "Clean Install" means just that. You completely erase your hard drive and re-install everything from the OS to all of your applications from the original discs or downloaded installers.

Just doing a "migration assistant" does not work with ProApps and generally makes a system even more unstable.

I always allocate up to 8 hours for this entire process and I generally do this once a year, usually during the Christmas break. Wiping the entire system and clean and re-installing everything fresh always boosts the performance of the system and keeps everything running well.

This is good proper maintenance that you really need to follow if you're running or working in a business.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Erik Naso
on Aug 19, 2010 at 9:32:06 pm

I highly recommend making disk images of all the disks from the FCP suite. Makes reinstalling go SUPER fast. Just did this yesterday on a Macbook pro. Save the .dmg files on a external back up drive and when you need them I copy the folder over to the computer and open up all the images on the desktop and start the process. Never have to stick any disks into the computer and like I said SUPER FAST install.

http://www.mediaartproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 21, 2010 at 2:42:34 am

I'm VERY interested in this...

Let me make sure I understand what you are saying...I'm sort of new to mac.

I simply insert each of the FCS discs and copy ONE single file (DMG) over to a Firewire drive? Then when I want to install the suite, I mount each of the DMG's representing each disc...?

Should I do this with the OS installer? Can I run this same process to install multiple machines with different Serials for FCS?

How do you guys keep things like custom compressor settings, episode settings...etc? Go into each piece of software and back them up individually?

Thanks for the insight...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Aug 24, 2010 at 4:53:14 pm

[Jason Brown] "I simply insert each of the FCS discs and copy ONE single file (DMG) over to a Firewire drive? Then when I want to install the suite, I mount each of the DMG's representing each disc...?"

no... you are creating a DMG (disk Image) of the DVDS.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh3.html

[Jason Brown] "Should I do this with the OS installer?"

You can't do it with an OS disk because the computer needs to be able to boot off of an OS install disk

[Jason Brown] "Can I run this same process to install multiple machines with different Serials for FCS?"
Yes.

[Jason Brown] "How do you guys keep things like custom compressor settings, episode settings...etc? Go into each piece of software and back them up individually?"
Those type of settings are stored in differnt areas of the computer and can be backed up...you don't back up the entire program....just those settings which are typically in the library. Off hand I can't tell you where each of them are but I'm sure if you search around on the forum you can find the info.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]