FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD DVD from Final Cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Olshanski
HD DVD from Final Cut
on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:41:49 pm

I know that most of you probably know the answer to this but I'm new to making HD DVDs. I just cut a video in HD (Sony HDCAM EX) and my client wants to present it to his client in HD. I know I can just make a same as source QT from Final Cut (if his computer can play it) but can I make an HD DVD from my Mac Pro (2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3.) Something I can play in a PS3?I have DVD Studio Pro 4. Or, if none of this is correct, what is the best way to present HD video to a client for approval. Thanks!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: HD DVD from Final Cut
on Aug 18, 2010 at 9:45:30 pm

PS3's play BluRay discs. Not HD-DVD which is now a defunct format.

For BluRay discs you can use the Make BluRay disc option in Compressor. (In Final Cut Studio 3) You'll need a BluRay disc burner which is NOT standard with any Mac. You have to purchase a third party burner. We got ours from fastmac.com

I use a combination of Apple Compressor, Adobe Encore and NetBlender DoStudio for our BluRay discs. If it's just a review copy or a disc that ONLY requires a "Play Movie" button, then I use Encore. If it's something that requires a fully functional menu, then I use DoStudio. That software only runs on Windows and we have it installed on an HP Workstation.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:02:59 pm

Thanks Walter. I guess I need your advice. Let me tell you my situation... Editing is something I do occasionally. Used to be full time but things have changed (ie kid.) I still edit for broadcast tv though. Right now I'm working on a sales video. Anyway, because I only edit sometimes, I can't make huge investments in my suite. So, can I just make a same as source QT for my client to play for his client? Also, DVD Studio Pro has a HD DVD option. Is that useless now? And, since I'm asking your advice, what is the most affordable way to color correct accurately- meaning what hardware/monitor do I need?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:54:44 pm

Answered in DVDSP forum.

Make the video a QT but use H264 for the codec since it is going to be played back on a computer.

Return to posts index

Lisa Olshanski
on Aug 19, 2010 at 2:32:53 am

Thanks. I looked at your other answer too. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 19, 2010 at 9:47:25 pm

[Lisa Olshanski] "Also, DVD Studio Pro has a HD DVD option. Is that useless now?"

Yes. Steve Jobs expects all of us to only use download services now. :)

[Lisa Olshanski] "And, since I'm asking your advice, what is the most affordable way to color correct accurately- meaning what hardware/monitor do I need?"

Flanders Scientific 1760W is the most affordable color correction monitor on the market, but that will set you back $2,500. And you'll need something like a Matrox or AJA Kona to feed it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]