FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Compatibility with ProRes 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hey Chong
FCP Compatibility with ProRes 422
on Aug 16, 2010 at 12:27:12 am

I need to edit together a film festival trailer, and am working with footage from DVD's(terrible, I know, but there is no other way). I am using mpeg streamclip to convert the ripped files to a QT using the Apple ProRes422 HQ. I am using the same settings for all of the files. 854x480 16:9, 48hz, I've left options for interlaced scaling and reinterlace chroma checked, (I'm supposed to uncheck for progressive movies but aren't most dvd's interlaced?). I see that it used the Integer(Big Endiann) and Apple ProRes422 codec.

After I try to import a file into Final Cut it tells me that the clip does not match the sequence's settings or any of the sequence presets.Then it gives me the option to match clip settings to sequence settings and I choose yes.
Then the clip is able to be viewed normally in the timeline.

HOWEVER, when I try to import the next clip, converted in the same way, with the same settings, I get this:

Codec not found. You may be using a compression type without the corresponding hardware card.

Then, the clip is unalbe to be viewed in the timeline and won't render.

Why would this be??!

Also, I tried importing the clips and adding them to the timeline in the opposite order and it's the same thing. FCP changes the settings to match the first clip and then I can't work with subsequent clips.

Does anyone know what the issue could be?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: FCP Compatibility with ProRes 422
on Aug 16, 2010 at 1:16:37 am

What version of FCP are you using? Older versions don't support any form of prores and the the version previus to the current version does not support all the types off prores as the current version.

Also prores hq is overkill for a DVD rip. Regular prores would be fine.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Aug 16, 2010 at 1:20:56 am

Thank you for your response. I am using FCP 6.0.5. I see that both ProRes 422 and ProResHQ are both options in the settings. I tried both but same results. Could frame size be an issue? I wouldn't think so if they were all the same size. I tried 720x480 which stretches the clips even when I check 'preserve aspect ratio'.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 16, 2010 at 1:23:20 am

Also try staying with standard frame sizes like 720 x 480 anamorphic as that is what the DVD frame is.

854 x 480 is not a standard frame size for editing in FCP

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 16, 2010 at 2:11:09 am

I agree with michael.
[Hey Chong] "I am using the same settings for all of the files. 854x480 16:9, 48hz, I've left options for interlaced scaling and reinterlace chroma checked,"
Don't do that.
try to just transcode the MPG-2 pixel by pixel.
Keep size, pixels aspect and field order.
For transcoding an MPEG-2 the perfect codec is 8b Uncompress. Plain Prores would be OK too. HQ won't add nothing for a mere transcoding.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Aug 16, 2010 at 4:07:08 am

Thanks for all of the advice. I have been exporting the clips at 720x480. I can now import them into FCP, though they look stretched, and then changing the item property to anamorphic and also the sequence setting to anamorphic. This changes it in the timeline so that takes away the stretched look. However, when I tried exporting it as a QT movie as a test the footage was still stretched and not 16:9.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I looked around this forum for an answer, which is how I figured out that I needed to change clip and sequence settings, but it didn't work.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 16, 2010 at 8:15:12 am

Anamorphic is meant to look stretched and you set the flag on the clips and the sequence. When you export the final for web use, you can convert to a square pixel ratio at that point, so the final quicktime would be 854 x 480.

If however the export is for DVD or broadcast, it stays anamorphic and the stretch is done in the 16:9 TV during playback.

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Aug 17, 2010 at 4:23:36 pm

Got it. I finally got it to export as 16:9. If the final destination is for viewing on a large screen(as the trailer before all movies in a film festival) I should export as 16:9 as opposed to square pixel, correct?

This is my last question on the topic, thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:13:46 am

No necessary.
Set the projector for Anamorphic, or in the QT Properties (Com-J) set the display size 854 x 480.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]