FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't Make reference movie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian paterson
Can't Make reference movie
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:47:23 pm

I recently shot some speeches indoors at a Wedding with my EX1. Much to my exasperation when I put the footage in the timeline to edit I found that the colour temperature changed from a neutral to slightly pink on occassions and maybe then to a blue/ green cast and then back again etc. Even on a shot with the camera position locked off for five minutes at a time the colour would be o.k. for maybe two or three minutes and then change for no apparent reason. ( no zooming or anything done to camera angle. ) So my first question is why ???

Now my main question.
I have watched the Richard Harris video on colour correction using keyframing many times and in the past from memory it has worked although I haven't used this method for about a year now. So I thought I would try keyframing a colour balance correction for the above, in post, using the three way colour corrector as per the tutorial.

This is what should happen:- I start with a section of the clip which has fairly neutral colours. I move the playhead down the timeline until I see the colour balance start to change to a greenish hue and I make a keyframe. I then correct the colour at that point to a more neutral balance . In theory then if I go back a few seconds to the beginning of the clip it should start with a neutral colour and when it gets to the keyframe it should play the colour correction I keyframed in and there should be little discernable difference.
However what actually happens is this:- I make all the corrections as I described but when I go back to the beginning of the clip it starts as it should but then the color changes gradually to a strong pink hue at it's peak before slowly settling down to the neutral tones I keyeframed in at the first keyframe point.
That is the simplest example.
If I try to correct this strong change of colour by putting more keyframes in the problem just gets more compressed between the subsequent keyframes.

Can anyone shed a light on this or suggest another colour smoothing solution.

I am using FCP 6 and editing in a pro res timeline. The footage is xdcam ex from a sony ex1. I am using an imac running leopard.

brian paterson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]