FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro Recommendation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Burke
Mac Pro Recommendation
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:54:56 pm

I'm going to prepare a sheet for my boss about recommending a new Mac Pro for the company here. Of course, If we had the budget, I would just get the top of the line everything. But, since we don't, I was wondering if ya'll had any recommendations on purchasing a new Mac Pro. I imagine something around 6,000$ would be an ideal number to hit.

I've been doing some research on this, but it seems everyone has very different needs for their Computers. So, things like, should I get the Quad-Core or 8 core, Ram size, Video Card, etc. Also, been working on an old Samsung Monitor with color problems. Perhaps you guys know of a solid monitor for editing.

The machine will be used primarily for Final Cut 7 and After Effects CS5. We also do a lot of recording with Soundbooth CS5 via MOTU ultralite. Lately, we've been working off three G-Drives and a LaCie.

Pretty much all the content we create is shot in HD via Red and I'm sure I'll soon be editing more and more Canon 7d/5d/t2i stuff in the future. But, basically, we edit all HD content with heavy After Effects.

Let me know, thank you!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Mac Pro Recommendation
on Aug 13, 2010 at 10:17:44 pm

Well you're going to want as much machine as you can get. Right now the FCS suite doesn't take advantage of mulitple processing as much as the Adobe software will... So that's a call you should make, but does this 6k INCLUDE a monitor? I know that the Dell 24 and 27 inch monitors are less than Apple's and have been very popular with the folks around here.

but whatever you buy, upgrade the graphics card (the $200 upgrade) and look to be running 16gigs of RAM... Then buy the most machine you can for that bang. I'd look strongly at the std 12 core 2.66 mhz machine, and spend less on a new monitor to accomodate it.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

DVD:http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]