FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony V1U tape output via HDMI

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Thompson
Sony V1U tape output via HDMI
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:05:32 am

Hi, Kids, I'm a little confused about capture from my little Sony HDR-V1U HDV camera. Thru a box like Matrox O2 to FCP can one capture tape playback thru it's HDMI port and get all the goodness the camera creates or is it limited to the HDV codec.(which I believe it is.) Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony V1U tape output via HDMI
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:08:30 am

If you can go straight from HMDI out, before you record to tape...you get pure video goodness. It's when you go to tape that you are in HDV heck.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marshall Thompson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:15:05 am

Thanks, Shane, that's what I thought. Does the HDMI set-up capture better than, say, the camera's FW output?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:41:20 am

The biggest adavantage of capture via HDMI is that it comes out as 1920 x 1080. So if you want to capture as ProRes422 it is already the right raster.Also with machine control (via FW) you can log & capture and retain timecode reference back to the master tapes.

Via FW you get 1440 x 1080 so your ProRes is in that raster. It isn't a big deal but capture to ProRes via FW doesn't retain tape timecode which is a potential problem.

Third option is to capture as HDV, which keeps the timecode and when you grade and render, change the render settings to ProRes in the sequence settings. You do want to end up with a ProRess 422 render for grade and graphics. YOu could also do that render in Color during the round trip.

Return to posts index

Marshall Thompson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:50:14 am

I think I understand. To recap, if I can capture live from the camera to FCP in the prores codec I can get 1920 x 1080. If I capture from tape to prores via FW I get an easy to edit codec but lose the camera original timecode which is fine 'cause I never go back to tape, just keep it as an archival medium. I have been capturing all the time as HDV. What is the advantage for going prores? (sorry, I'm mostly a shooter and a cut-cut-dissolve editor!) Thanks again, these forums are so helpful to me.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:08:13 am

ProRes 422 is a great codec to finish your HDV project in. It is 10 bit and 422 so it displays color grade, graphics and text best whilst still being small enough to not max out drives and can run (just) off a FW800 drive depending on frame rate.

The importance of keeping timecode from tape is perhaps not obvious but if you delete a file or a drive goes down, you need to have the timecode from tape or else you will not be able to recapture your footage to match your edit sequence. It also means that after a job is done, you can keep the project file and delete your media, knowing you can always reload off tape if you need to revist an old project. Trust me it is very important.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]