FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to build this type of lower third animation - FCP, Motion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amber Wade
How to build this type of lower third animation - FCP, Motion?
on Aug 10, 2010 at 3:06:39 am

Hey All!

I am trying to learn FCP and I wondered if any of you more experienced folks could tell me how I would go about creating a particular lower third and title animation. I'd like to see about creating an animation like the one in this video (the title and the lower third):

http://virtual.fi-conference.com/Keynote.aspx?id=1003&v=MarkONeil_Keynote20...

It looks like a fairly simple animation, like a couple of ovals animated, but I'm not sure if it is something that I could create in FCP or if it would be better for me to create it in Motion, etc.

Could someone lead me in the right direction? I would appreciate anyone's wisdom!

Thanks!
-Amber

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How to build this type of lower third animation - FCP, Motion?
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:20:17 am

Motion.

But man, I nearly fell asleep watching that intro.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amber Wade
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:58:38 pm

Ah! That gave me a good laugh this morning! Thanks for the info!! :)

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:42:17 am

Well you could make the whole thing from scratch using motion or you could just buy a background to use. They can be fairly cheep check out http://www.revostock.com but there are a lot of places that sell them online.

Then to make the animated background a lower third, simply crop it and place your text over it.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:02:06 pm

This is easily built from pre-made elements in Motion, or if you have it, LiveType. You can also buy these pre-made from Digital Juice; it is their bread and butter.

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:00:39 pm

I agree with these guys. If you are just learning the revostock or istock route would be the best, especially if you are on a job with a deadline. It looks to me as though there is no real flair in the animation, as if it is just a still that moves from right to left. Another cheap way around the bend would be to make the file in photoshop twice as long as it needs to be and animate it with keyframes (in FCP) to move from right to left.

Return to posts index

Amber Wade
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:18:09 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your comment. Everyone's advice has been great! One last quick question for you if I may? I am quite familiar with iStock and really like some of their backgrounds. If I am going to be getting NTSC-DV from my camera, can I use the iStock videos? They don't seem to come in the exact dimensions/format I need, and I thought I heard you can NOT mix two very different types of video (in FCP, at least)--like HD and NTSC-DV. They have a "Big Web" 640 X 360 option, so I was thinking about giving that a try, but thought I would ask you first. I did see that RevoStock had a closer file format (NTSC DV1), but it seems like iStock has more to choose from.

Thanks very much again!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:55:07 pm

For a lower third on this project, you should be fine with the Big Web option from istock. I would recommend you "download a comp" first and put that in the video to make sure it works first and get client approval before you dish out the cash for the clip (It will download as flash, but don't worry, it will play fine).

Return to posts index

Amber Wade
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:09:02 pm

Great idea. I will work with a comp to begin with. Thanks again for your time! It is MUCH appreciated!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:07:26 pm

That background is a stock animation in Livetype. If you have an earlier version of FCP that came with Livetype than you have that lower third already.

Return to posts index

Amber Wade
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:12:43 pm

Ah shoot!! I suspected that the animation was probably stock. Dang it. I don't have Live Type. Crap. Oh well. Thanks for chiming in Jeremy!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:41:22 pm

Everything that was in LiveType is in Motion 3 now, AFAIK. Go to the "content" section of Motion and you'll find pre-made lower thirds as well as main titles, in SD and HD flavors, ready to export to final cut. Doesn't cost a thing.

Return to posts index

Amber Wade
on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:13:25 pm

Ah, very cool. I hadn't explored Motion to closely. I had seen the Motion templates in FCP, and thought that was it. I will take a look at all of the stock backgrounds and such that are available. Thanks for the info!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]