FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing DVCPro HD with dropped frames

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Stolzar
Capturing DVCPro HD with dropped frames
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:42:49 pm

Hi

I'm trying to capture DVCPro HD tapes to FCP 7 though an AJ-HD1400 using firewire. The tapes are supposed to be 720p24, but some have been 720p60. Anyway, most of the tapes have captured fine, but while capturing a few, I get a message that says that there were dropped frames. I click "ok" and then nothing gets captured. Is there anyway to easily push through the dropped frames?

The solutions that have heard are either make a dub of the tape and capture that or capture up to where the dropped frames occurred and then continue a few frames after.

Also, could the problem be that the drive we are capturing to is connected to the iMac via USB 2.0 (the deck is connected to the iMac's firewire port)? If that is a problem, could I connect the deck to the other firewire port on the drive while the drive is connected to the iMac's firewire port?

Thank you
Scott

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Capturing DVCPro HD with dropped frames
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:12:47 pm

"Also, could the problem be that the drive we are capturing to is connected to the iMac via USB 2.0"

Dine ding ding we have a winner. Your absolutely right. USB works with bursts of data not a constant stream and therefore is no good for video editing.

I cannot tell you how much I wish that FCP would give a warning that your scratch disk is set to a USB drive. It would save a lot foe new editors many headaches as well as save the cow many unneeded posts.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Capturing DVCPro HD with dropped frames
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:15:00 pm

[Scott Stolzar] "could the problem be that the drive we are capturing to is connected to the iMac via USB 2.0 "

Yes. That isn't fast enough for video. Well, it is fast, but sends data in bursts. Video needs a steady stream. Firewire provides that.

[Scott Stolzar] "could I connect the deck to the other firewire port on the drive while the drive is connected to the iMac's firewire port?"

You could try, but two FW devices on one bus...I have had issues with that. This is why an iMac isn't suited for a few editing situations...limited expandability. The only way I was able to capture DVCPRO HD via firewire on my Powerbook was with a PCMCIA firewire adapter to get the second FW bus.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]