FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film Transfer Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jones
Film Transfer Workflow
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:57:41 pm

Greetings!

I'm about to under take editing a documentary film in FCP and I was wondering about the transfer: super-16mm to a hard-drive at 1920X1080 resolution via Apple PRO RES 422 HQ at 1080 23.98 PsF.

I'm planning on getting Shane Ross's "Getting Organized with FCP" to better organize my workflow in post. But, considering the project was shot entirely on film, is there anything I should know about regarding the transfer itself when it comes to scene/clip/reel labeling, or anything else?

I know this is probably a bigger question than space allows but, any advice is most appreciated!

Dave J

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Film Transfer Workflow
on Aug 9, 2010 at 8:07:50 pm

Going DIRECT to hard drive? Not going to transfer to HDCAMSR or some other high end tape format, then capture? Better back up that footage in a couple more locations. Lose that drive, all that time and $$ wasted.

Without a tape, not sure how you can label a REEL. I guess it would actually be the thing the name actually came from...the reel of film that is being transferred. So the REEL information would be the film roll, or negative reel, if all the rolls have been consolidated to one or more film reels. I guess that would be LAB ROLL?

Scene and take are straightforward. THey are what is on the slate, or by description of the scene. Like SHANE ROSS_INTVW. or EXT_HOUSE... SCENICS_NORTH HOLLYWOOD. Stuff like that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Film Transfer Workflow
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:27:16 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response! Yeah, the original plan was to go to HD tape first, but costs have changed that.

We have 31 400' rolls of film that have been "prepped for transfer" so, they've been consolidated down to several LAB ROLLS.

Assuming they'll be transferred in order, I was wondering if I should have them (the actual camera rolls) transferred in a way so each roll is a separate clip (if that's even possible) or if there is some sort of standard that's used when transferring film to harddrives. Then sub-clip the scenes that are within the rolls in FCP? I think you already answered this but just in case...

Dave J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]