FORUMS: list search recent posts

Offline RT question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Priddy
Offline RT question
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:01:43 pm

I've been experimenting with the Offline RT function in FCP, and getting a frustrating result. Warning- I'm a former AVID editor and used to using "Decompose" in AVID. Heres my problem. I digitized 1 min of video from one tape as a single clip. I edited eight seconds of that clip (four different shots) into my sequence. Made the sequence offline etc., (followed Ken Stones tutorial on this). So why is it, that when my material is batched at full res, that the WHOLE 1 min clip is batched and NOT JUST the eight seconds that i am using in my sequence? I'm not interested in discussing this as a storage issue (not a big deal I know) this is a matter of curiosity. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your input,
MP

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Offline RT question
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:10:33 pm

Use Media Manager to reduce your project media to the clips on the sequence (+ handles, if you need them).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Priddy
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:23:03 pm

Thanks Rafael,

I am using Media Manager, and I am using the "discard unused media" function, but to no avail. Am i supposed to make the individual pieces of the clip "independent clips" prior to making the sequence "offline".

MP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:27:17 pm

When you media manage to OFFLINE, you need to make sure you check DELETE UNUSED. That you capture only what is in your sequence.

Man, offline editing is so old hat...really should be used sparingly. Like in reality shows where you get 50 hours of footage a day. Narrative, doc work...with 100-200 hours...easily fit on a 4-6TB RAid.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Priddy
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:33:02 pm

Thanks Shane,

I am using the "delete unused media" function. Does not help though. I still do offline because I do projects with hours and hours of footage. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

MP

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:57:08 pm

Does your footage have Reel Numbers? If not, Media Manager won't work properly.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Priddy
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:37:35 pm

Problem solved, I think. Thanks to those that responded to my question. The solution-I was not disabling the "include affiliated clips" selection. Just not used to FCP's nonmenclature I guess.

MP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]