FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Williams
Capture settings
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:44:19 am

I have a quick question. I am capturing from a Panasonic HPX 300 camera, 180i60 to a Blackmagic Decklink Extreme Card in a Quad Core Mac Pro. I currently use the Blackmagic 1080i 59.94 JPEG setting to capture with. I have been told that it would be better workflow for me to use the ProRes 4444 setting instead. Pros and cons on this ? Capture into FCP7 of course.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Capture settings
on Aug 9, 2010 at 8:04:17 am

Just plain old vanilla ProRes422 is what you need. Similar file size to mjpeg but a much better codec. 4444 is needed when you want an alpha channel and you have original material that is 444.

Save the drive space and speed as you won't see any improvement with ProRes4444 or HQ with that camera.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:20:25 am

WHy are you going through the Black Magic card at all? This is a tapeless camera...AVCIntra P2. You don't play back through a card...you Log and Transfer this footage, after backing up the card.

or are you in a studio situation and capturing live? If so...ProRes 422 will be fine. 4444 is overkill, and you won't see any quality difference at 1080.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brad Williams
on Aug 9, 2010 at 9:25:13 am

Yes, I am capturing through a Panasonic switcher for a TV broadcast.

Return to posts index

Brad Williams
on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:41:03 pm

Ok, so if I capture in Hd, it only gives me Prores 422 720p24. If I choose Prores 422 as the format, it gives me all HQ settings.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:06:44 am

Blackmagic like Kona has lots of ProRes settings. Perhaps you are not seeing all available settings or your driver software is ancient.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]