FORUMS: list search recent posts

how come the imported picture is fuzzy and not crisp?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Howe
how come the imported picture is fuzzy and not crisp?
on Aug 8, 2010 at 6:23:51 pm

I am working on a sci-fi short, shot in Standard Definition. I'm trying to incorporate a still picture of a crashed satellite. When I import the picture into final cut pro it looks fine until I drag it down to edit it with the rest of the workable footage then it looks jagged and fuzzy not crisp like the original. I made the picture in Photoshop at 1440 X 960 hoping that would help but did not, what can I do to fix that? Thanks everyone I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: how come the imported picture is fuzzy and not crisp?
on Aug 8, 2010 at 8:33:28 pm

What edit codec are you using? If it's DV, dragging your pic to the timeline immediately reduces the quality of the original to DV = not as good. And, how are you monitoring? If on your computer monitor in the Canvas, be sure to adjust its size to 100%. You won't be seeing actual quality until you view on a broadcast monitor, but it'll get you close. Also, make sure your pics center is resting on an even number in the y-axis.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:18:56 pm

I've run into this problem before, and it's very frustrating! It looks perfect in the viewer, but then once it's on the timeline it looks terrible. I found that if I imported the still into Motion and then put the Motion project into FCP, it was crystal clear. In fact, I only work in Motion now with stills.

Return to posts index

Mark Howe
on Aug 15, 2010 at 7:16:05 am

Thanks for the advise. I tried doing the credits at the end in scrolling text in Motion and didn't get as far as the picture like you said but it came out fuzzy as well. What do you think? Maybe I have settings off in a program I'm using or some thing?

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Aug 15, 2010 at 1:04:10 pm

Do your settings in Motion match your setting in FCP? What I mean by that is to make sure the aspect ratio is the same. If you have, for instance, a 640x480 project in FCP but your settings in Motion are 720x480, then it won't work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]