FORUMS: list search recent posts

h.264 60 to 23.98

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Barter
h.264 60 to 23.98
on Aug 8, 2010 at 5:45:41 pm

I apologize if this subject has been covered already (i've not found it), but I'm having trouble converting h.264 (what the canon 7D shoots) 720p 60fps to 23.98 to get a slow motion or overcranked effect. There's a nice tutorial on using DVCPRO formatting, but the conversions cause errors when using the built-in DCVPRO frame rate converter.

I assume this is a simple task—to uniformly slow down the frame rate of a 60fps clip to 23.98—but I've not been working with video long enough to know the workarounds or common solutions. Any help would be accepted gladly.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: h.264 60 to 23.98
on Aug 8, 2010 at 6:31:39 pm

For this you use CINEMA TOOLS and the CONFORM option. Open Cinema Tools...cancel out of the thing that asks for a database. Then open the clip you want to conform (DUPLICATE IT FIRST...because this will alter the clip), and then hit the CONFORM button, and convert it to 29.97 or 23.98.

If you want to edit this, you need to first convert the H.264 to ProRes....then conform. FCP doesn't edit H.264 smoothly.

OR.... get Magic Bullet Grinder. This will convert the clip from 720p60 to 1080p 23.98 in one go.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Josh Broder
Re: h.264 60 to 23.98
on Nov 12, 2010 at 7:55:02 pm

Hi Shane,

I have a similar question. For some reason I don't have the Cinema Tools Application on my laptop that I am using to edit a project that was shot like the above mentioned on. From a Canon 7d @ 720p 6 frames. So when I tried to use CT it obvs didn't work since it is not on my system.

I then tried to use compressor, using the Apple ProRes 422 setting and changing the frame rate to 24, but when i do a test clip, it still is not showing the slow motion that was intended when the footage was shot. Am I missing a step here or is there a better way in compressor to do this. Thank you.

Also do I need to change my setting via "Easy Setup" or just let the clips set it when i put it in a new sequence?

Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]