FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dropped Frames Warning: USB to blame?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Cox
Dropped Frames Warning: USB to blame?
on Aug 8, 2010 at 3:39:55 am

Hey guys,

I've been getting some dropped frames warnings on my intel Imac duo, especially after adding more transitions and fade in/outs to my project.

Now, I'm aware that there are many different causes for this warning, but could one of them possibly be the fact that I'm running ALL of my media from an external HardDrive via USB?
Would getting a firewire compatible harddrive possibly solve my problem, or is does this have nothing to do with said 'dropped frames warning'?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Dropped Frames Warning: USB to blame?
on Aug 8, 2010 at 4:11:43 am

[Kyle Cox] "could one of them possibly be the fact that I'm running ALL of my media from an external HardDrive via USB?"

Yes. USB isn't suited for video editing. It deals with data in bursts...and video needs a steady stream. Firewire, eSATA...they provide that.

[Kyle Cox] "Would getting a firewire compatible harddrive possibly solve my problem"

Yes. And a good one. 7200 RPM, FW400 or FW800. And not a cheesy MyBook either. That's consumer. Otherworldcomputing.com or iStorage Pro...someone you see advertised here.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kyle Cox
on Aug 8, 2010 at 2:19:50 pm

Thank you so much yet again for your help! I'm checking out this one....http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/ME8SRS10TB32/

i'm excited to upgrade from my primitive setup!

Return to posts index

Kyle Cox
on Aug 8, 2010 at 2:33:04 pm

OH yeah, forgot to ask...this all being said...is there a way to transfer my project over to the new harddrive?

I'm aware that I can do a simple copy of my old harddrive, but I'm worried that my project will stop working due to the source files being moved to a new harddrive. Is there a way to do this where I can keep all of my old clips and original edits???

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 8, 2010 at 6:27:34 pm

That is a good drive.

Just name the drive the exact same name, and copy over EVERYTHING in the same file structure, and FCP will see the footage fine.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]