FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Harddrive for Editing HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Laslo
New Harddrive for Editing HD
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:53:51 pm

Hi All,

This will hopefully be my last post on upgrading my set up for a while. I am in the process of upgrading to an HD camera and will most likely be using AVCHD which between the original media and the transcoded Pro-Res files I've calculated to about 70 GB/ hour - about 1 GB per minute plus the 11 GB of storage per hour at 1080i. Can anybody confirm this?

More importantly I am looking to add one more internal hard drive to edit off of. Right now I have a 700 GB primary OS drive and a 1 TB where all of my media and render files are stored on as a scratch disk. I was looking at a 2 TB 7200 RPM drive and want to know if I'm setting myself up for trouble? RAID currently isn't really an option as we are dropping a lot of money on other equipment and I don't think I can get another $1000 to get a RAID system.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Mark

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: New Harddrive for Editing HD
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:30:13 pm

First off what type of system are you editing on, knowing what connections you have available makes all the difference when recommending hard drives.

[Mark Laslo] "I am looking to add one more internal hard drive to edit off of"

You say you want internal does this mean you have a MacPro.

[Mark Laslo] "I don't think I can get another $1000 to get a RAID system"

You don't necessarily have to spend that much. If you do have a MacPro your best option would be to leave your system drive in slot one and a 1TB drive in each of the 3 other bays and then use disk utility to raid those 3 together. You would then have a 3TB raid for 300 or less.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:51:24 pm

[Zane Barker] "use disk utility to raid those 3 together. "

In what cases would you want to use a Mac RAID card and when would you do a RAID as you are describing?

I've always wondered why you would want to use a RAID card.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:19:54 pm

[Jason Brown] "In what cases would you want to use a Mac RAID card and when would you do a RAID as you are describing?"

If you're referring to Apple's RAID card -- never. It's a disappointment.

If you're referring to third-party RAID cards, you might use one if you wanted a RAID level other 0 or 1, for both performance and redundancy.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:20:29 pm

[Zane Barker] "You would then have a 3TB raid for 300 or less"

2 tb HD at Fry's for $109 each.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:35:10 am

Hi Zane,

I am interested in doing a RAID setup inside of my Mac Pro. Would this idea work with two 2 TB drives and a 1 TB drive for a total of 5 TB of space or is working with a 2 TB drive too big? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:36:26 am

[Mark Laslo] "Would this idea work with two 2 TB drives and a 1 TB drive for a total of 5 TB of space"

Nope all the drives in the raid need the be the same size. More specifically same make and model.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:40:34 am

Would it make sense to get two 2 TB drives and raid those together and leave the 1 TB alone since I already have 300 GB of media on the 1 TB drive that came with the Mac or should I try and move it around and try and get 3 2 TB drives or 3 1 TB drives?

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:46:26 pm

One more question,

Would 3 of these drives work together. I was readings something about the drive requiring TLER in order to support RAId. I'm not sure if this is just for windows or for OS X as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136456

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:30:28 pm

You can get the Caldigit VR with two 1 TB drives for 399.00 at their web site. I have this setup and it works great. I have it set up as a RAID 1 so it mirrors all data. Check caldigit.com and no I don't work for them.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:17:03 pm

First off I have to say that finding Creativecow.net was one of the best finds in awhile. As a new member I really appreciate the community sense here - none of the typical web forum sarcastic and degrading answers, just honest people lending a hand.

Zane - Sorry I forgot to mention. I am using a Mac pro with two open hard drive slots. I like the idea of getting 3 TB of internal space though I do already have one drive populated (besides the primary drive) but I think I have enough disk space to migrate. What is the benefit of RAID'ing these three drives together besides having one uniform space. Would you recommend setting it up as a RAID 5 solution (striping, correct?) or just leave it to make one big drive?

I have already learned that progressive seems to be the way to go. What is the file size of 1080/30p (since the AG-HMC150 doesn't support 60p, does anything?)

Ron - Thanks for the recommendation to Caldigit. Do you have this connected via firewire or eSATA. If firewire do you work with ProRes 422 and how many streams to you get. Right now I'm only expecting to have to work with 1 or 2 (depending on how final cut pro handles 2 video tracks with the second tracks video fully covering the first track. I looked at the specs and the thing seems pretty powerful. If it works well on firewire I may go for the 4 TB version if at all possible just to not have to purchase new drive space for another year or so (hopefully).

Cheers,
Mark

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Aug 6, 2010 at 8:25:41 pm

I have mine set up with eSATA and run 3 to 4 video tracks from it on a 2008 MacBook Pro. I have not tried the other connections.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:26:19 pm

[Mark Laslo] "I have already learned that progressive seems to be the way to go. What is the file size of 1080/30p (since the AG-HMC150 doesn't support 60p, does anything?)"

Who told you this? Progressive for 720 ONLY. If you want to shoot 1080, you want to work with 1080/60i.

There are a few apps (iphone) that will calculate your file sizes.
http://www.aja.com/products/software/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Laslo
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:19:15 pm

I saw somebody's signature that said hindsight is 1080P and I noticed with the AVG-HMC150 that it seemed like there was more of a stutter in Final Cut Pro when moving the camera in 60i but when I put it into 30p it seemd to work a lot nicer. Maybe my eyes were playing tricks.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 9, 2010 at 12:35:14 pm

I believe Steve is wrong...a lot of formats shoot in 1080 progressive. Most (if not all) of them use a thing called segmented frames. (Psf) It's like interlacing, but both *fields* represent the same moment of time. Here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

I don't know a TON about this...but I've had experience with progressive formats in 1080 (GoPro footage - XDCAM HD422 30p) and they display back properly with my KONA and Matrox with the 1080 psf / 1080i and 1080 29.97p display settings.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]