FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg4 problems - No QT, FCP or Comp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Lester
mpeg4 problems - No QT, FCP or Comp
on Aug 5, 2010 at 8:48:27 pm

Obviously I'm kind of a amateur with all these programs, but I've tried to do my fair share of searching before actually posting.

Mac OS X 10.6.4
Final Cut Pro 7.0.2
MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2
Quicktime player 10.0

I took over an editing job from a guy that flaked out on the producer. I've been given a hard drive with almost all the footage. The camera the other guy used was a "XDCAM full high definition camera." I grabbed the XDCAM plug-in just in case, but that's only if you have the actual camera and tape.

In each folder, each of the following file types is found:
779_4183_01.MP4
779_4183_01.SMI
779_4183_01I01.PPN
779_4183_01M01.XML
779_4183_01R01.BIM

Anyway, the files cannot be opened by QT, FCP, Compressor, or MPEG Streamclip. I get all different errors depending on the program.

Final Cut Pro 7.0.2
~~ When importing Folder - General error
~~ When dragging it into FCP - File Error: Unknown file.

MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2
~~ File open error: unrecognized file type -> Open anyway
~~ File open error: can't find video or audio tracks

Quicktime player 10.0 ~~ The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -12909.)

Compressor ~~ Error trying to open source media file.

I think that's a lot of information to help out. Please let me know if there is something else needed to help diagnose the problem. I just want to be able to get these files into FCP so I can turn this movie around and edit it. Thanks a ton in advance!!

- M@

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: mpeg4 problems - No QT, FCP or Comp
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:31:01 pm

The proper way to work with XDCAM footage in FCP is to import footage using either Log and Transfer (within FCP) or XDCAM Transfer (standalone software available as a free download form Sony). It's necessary for you to have the original BPAV folder from the camera in order to use this workflow.

Final Cut Pro cannot natively edit the mp4 contents of BPAV folders - the files must be rewrapped into Quicktime movies. This is what Log and Transfer and XDCAM Transfer do.

Were you provided with the complete BPAV folders from the shoot? If not, others will recommend that you look into Clipwrap.

I'd also recommend posting on the Cow's XDCAM forum for additional help.

Return to posts index

Matt Lester
on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:28:43 am

"Were you provided with the complete BPAV folders from the shoot?"

Yes I was.

Sorry, the HD is in the Producer's office. but I have the computer so I can follow along.

So from here I...

1) Open FCP
2) Click Log and Transfer
3) Add Volume (top left corner)
4) Choose the correct folder
5) Click Automatic Transfer

And then the files will be editable in FCP. Is that the gist of it? And do I choose the whole BPAV folder, or just the mp4 itself? I guess I would try both if I don't get a response before I meet back up.

And if I can't get the Log and Transfer to work, I'll check out Sony's XDCAM Transfer.

Otherwise the only thing I found is to buy Wondershare Video Converter for Mac and reconvert it back to something I can edit. What would be best to go back to? *.mov?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:38:15 pm

[Matt Lester] "So from here I...

1) Open FCP
2) Click Log and Transfer
3) Add Volume (top left corner)
4) Choose the correct folder
5) Click Automatic Transfer

And then the files will be editable in FCP. Is that the gist of it?"

That's the gist of it. Both Log & Transfer and XDCAM Transfer rewrap the contents of the BPAV folders into Quicktime .mov files that FCP can edit.

Different NLEs deal with XDCAM footage in different ways, that's why it's important to always save the original BPAV folder from recording sessions. Unfortunately far too many people don't do this out of ignorance, and they are essentially throwing away their masters. Consider yourself lucky that you have the original complete BPAV folders.

[Matt Lester] "And do I choose the whole BPAV folder, or just the mp4 itself?"

Choose the BPAV folder.

If you have problems with Log & Transfer, try XDCAM Transfer instead. I have had occasions where BPAV folders that could be imported properly by XDCAM Transfer that didn't open correctly in Log & Transfer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]