FORUMS: list search recent posts

media manager and invisible folders - anybody seen this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Lyon
media manager and invisible folders - anybody seen this?
on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:58:36 pm

Hi all,

Couldn't find anything in the archives, but hopefully someone can shed some light on this:

I'm helping a friend who is trying to reduce the footprint of his media files. We are using media manager to trim his files down to just the selects, which will then be archived and taken offline for editing sometime down the road.

Admittedly, I don't use media manager very much, but here's what we are doing:

Open our "selects" timeline, then "select all," right click and select "make independent."

now run media manager with the following settings:

media: "use existing"
"delete unused media" ENABLED

base names on : "filenames"

Media manager runs successfully and tosses the unwanted footage.

As expected, FCP creates new quicktime files for the cases where we have multiple clips that reference the same original source media. They are named sequentially, for example:

original file:
tape01_day01.mov

becomes:

tape01_day01.mov
tape01_day01-1.mov
tape01_day01-2.mov

etc

However, using the "reveal in finder" command shows that the newly created clips are in a hidden folder:

../.TemporaryItems/501/TemporaryItems/ (or something close to that)

Worse, it seems that if you reboot your machine, the OS purges the content of these folders!

Has anybody encountered this before? The solution seems to be either to immediately move the quicktime files out of this hidden location, or to use the "copy" option in Media Manager (so you can manually specify an output destination), and then manually delete the original capture files.

Does anybody have any tips on making this process less kludgy? Any idea why FCP thinks putting the new media files in a hidden, temporary folder is a good idea?

FCP: 7.0.1 (I know there is a newer patch ... we just don't have an internet connection yet to run the update!)

Thanks,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: media manager and invisible folders - anybody seen this?
on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:07:21 pm

Never heard of this. When I media manage, FCP asks for a destination, and I give it one. Then the newly media managed footage appear on that drive, in a folder called MEDIA in a folder with the project name. You don't get that?

Trash your preferences maybe? Shot in the dark.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:43:46 pm

Thanks Shane,

Media Manager does not prompt us to select a destination. And the "media destination" box is grayed out.

Are you being prompted to select a destination after you select "ok" in the media manager window? Also, are you using the "use existing" option?

I'll definitely try trashing prefs next time I'm at my friend's place.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:12:25 pm

Sounds like your friends hard drive is formatted fat32 instead of OS Extended.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:22:23 pm

MEDIA DESTINATION shouldn't be greyed out. It's a button on the bottom just above OK. Click BROWSE and then choose the source. If you DON'T do that...then you will get an error "YOU MUST CHOOSE A VALID DESTINATION FOLDER FOR MEDIA FILES..." So you have to choose something.

Shane

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:07:18 pm

Jeremy - I also thought the same thing at first, but his drives are all definitely formatted "mac os extended"

Since first posting, I've been able to duplicate the same problem on my machine at work: FCP 6.0.6, os 10.4.11

Shane - "media destination" is definitely grayed out, unless I change the media mode to "copy" instead of "use existing." Then I can specify an output folder for media.

It seems that "use existing" is the problem here. I think I'll stick with "copy media referenced by duplicated items" from here on in.

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:25:18 pm

OHHH! Use EXISTING...I missed that. That is definately the issue.

Shane

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:44:40 pm

ah cool, thanks for the clarification Shane. I'll be avoiding the "use existing" option from now on!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Pedro Alvera
on Dec 27, 2010 at 11:56:17 am

No doubt it is a bug via "use existing" in M.Manager.

I experimented the same problem, solved using an app named "Invisibles" to make visibles the files in your Finder. Then browsing to your disk and find a directory named .TRASH, so there may be your files, move them to your usual Scratch Disk.

Cheers,

Pedro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]