FORUMS: list search recent posts

fastest most reliable scratch disk for FCP and backups

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hampshire
fastest most reliable scratch disk for FCP and backups
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:12:19 pm

Ok guys I am currently using a 2009 2.26 8-core mac pro and I also have a owc mercury proqx2 with firewire and esata and set up using raid and using final cut studio 2009 with compressor 3.5 and FCP 7.

1) Esata isn't technically supported on mac so is firewire better?

2) My question is what is the best scratch disk setup for fastest performance. Right now we have the owc box using esata as the scratch disk for video and the render files. Everything is usually stored/exported to the desktop. So in essence is it having to write twice? write the files to the owc drive and then to desktop?

OR would this be better. Keep applications users profiles and OS on one internal drive and then buy an additional internal drive and use that as the storage location for render files and scratch disk. Then retire the owc raid box, connect it using firwire 800 and use it for time machine. What do you guys think is the best for speed and performance and redundancy.

Thanks for reading long post. I really need help and appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: fastest most reliable scratch disk for FCP and backups
on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:07:34 am

Esata is faster than FW800 but you need to get a PCI esata card for the Mac. Search this forum as there have been issue with certain esata cards and lack of drivers when Snow Leopard came out. Also contact the drive manufacturer to see what esata cards they recommend. So you need to find a compatible PCI card that has drivers for SL.

Never use your internal system drive as a scratch disk. Putting media files on the desktop is a no no. System drive is already working hard running the OS and applications.

Depending on the types of files you are editing, FW800 may be fast enough. If you want the fastest then esata is a starting point. You could go crazy and use fibre channel which is potential faster again.

Return to posts index

Michael Hampshire
on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:41:47 pm

thanks. But i only export my files to the desktop from final cut. the scratch disk is external and everything is stored on that. is that a no no?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:29:18 am

Final files to the desktop are fine. Media for FCP on external scratch is good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]