FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMF File size

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cooper Bibaud
OMF File size
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:55:18 pm

I'm prepping an OMF file for an audio company, they asked for it to be in 24-bit, and 48KHz, with handle length at 00:00:15:00 with Include Crossfade Transitions checked off. Ever since I switched the settings to fit these specifications, it says the OMF is greater than 2GB's and cannot be exported.

I was told a few tricks, such as duplicating the timeline and taking the OMF's in chunks so the audio guys can layer them in themselves, but that hasn't worked either. I can't even take a single track and export it because even that is apparently bigger than 2GB's. Anyone know a solution to this or why that might be? Is there a setting somewhere I'm not aware of?

Any help would be great, I need to get it off to the studio today.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: OMF File size
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:56:52 pm

Break up the sequence into 20 min sections. If that is too big, then 10 min sections.

OMF...a VERY old technology that needs to be replaced. Avid now uses AAF, that doesn't have this limitation.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:59:02 pm

15 second handles? Really? Did they mean 15 frames? If you have 15 second handles, that means each clip is at least 30 seconds long, plus the real time of the clip. That could be why your files are getting so big.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cooper Bibaud
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:09:42 pm

I really hope that maybe they made a mistake and that you're right cause I have no ideas other than that. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Return to posts index

Cooper Bibaud
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:01:00 pm

Man that sucks, and even though I'm new to this, I already hate the three letters O,M, and F together. I hope it dies soon. Thanks for the help though!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:22:33 pm

I'll wager they mean 15 sec handles. No one wants 15 min.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:23:29 pm

[Shane Ross] "I'll wager they mean 15 sec handles. No one wants 15 min."

I'm saying 15 frame handles, vs 15 seconds. I bet they don't even want 15 seconds, but what do I know?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:32:14 pm

GAH... 15 FRAMES! yes. SOrry. I have been asked for at most 45 seconds.

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 4, 2010 at 11:38:52 pm

Cooper, OMF might be old and have this funny file size limit but without it the life of every audio pro would be miserable. It is a format that is really solid from FCP. As there is no other standard you have to get used to it.

AAF is AVID and Vegas centric. XML's are FCP and CS5 centric. OMF is the only common format that lets me get audio from everyone (except Vegas).

I ask for 3 second handles. This is plenty and I don't know why anyone would want 15 seconds. Break the show into chunks, making sure the chunks are on the same timeline. Marking In & Outs doesn't break the OMF up. So duplicate the audio timeline a few times and delete to create the chunks. The 2 gig limit is an unfortunate legacy of old disk and OS's when OMF was developed.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:20:59 pm

well, Avid can export as OMF NOT self contained.
This means there is no 2 gig limit, unless you have 3 hour takes...

But to add something functional:

If the source aint 24 bit, it is no use to export as 24 bit as you won't gain anything.
If the source was 16 bit, you save 1/3 on file size.

And indeed, if you did a resoanable offline, 15 seconds is overkill.
2 seconds should be enough. Or, provide a few ambient tracks (room tone, or just 'silence' from different locations (birds, cars, whatever is in your show that could be handy.)

For dialogue, 15 seconds is utterly nonsense.

Either way, it's one of these options, or no delivery at all...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]