FORUMS: list search recent posts

Failure to iniatilize - Canon XL-H1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Lahana
Failure to iniatilize - Canon XL-H1
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:25:06 am

I have not used the software FCP 6.0.6 for some time and not since I upgraded to SL and am on OS 10.6.4

FCP loads up and seems to function OK apart from connecting to the Canon XL-H1. I have tried an old Panasonic DV camcorder and it connects and captures OK to FCP. I have not tried to use a DV tape through the CAnon but will do so tonite.

I am not sure whether the issue is a software one brought on by installing SL or whether it is a setup problem.

Never had a problem with connecting the camera before installing SL and the Canon still hooks up fine in iMovie HD which leads me to believe it is a preset issue.

The error message (which I am sure you are all familiar with) says that the
"Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly etc."

I am in Australia and use 25fps. The tape is recorded in HDV25F. I am connecting via firewire 400

My A/V Settings are as follows:
Sequence Preset: HDV - 1080p25
Capture Preset : HDV
Device Control Preset : HDV FirewWire 25 fps (have tried a number of these options)
Video Playback: none
Audio Playback : Default

I have trashed the preferences but that did not help.

For any of you familiar with the XL-H1 I note that as soon as I connect the camera to the Mac the Playback Standard option in the Signal Setup "greys out". I noted on some other XL-H1 forums that you need to connect the camera before hand and select this option before you start up but have tried all the options and it still greys out when plugging in the firewire. I am unsure if this is normal though as I never checked it before as I didn't have a problem back then. I have tired the camera playback setting in both Auto and HDV. The downconvert from HDV to DV is OFF

Can anyone help me on this problem please. I have just got back from a 6 week trip to Canada and Alaska and have 10 hours of tape to edit and have not got anywhere in the last 2 days.

Cheers

Colin

MacPro 2007 model Mac OS X (10.6.4) 2 x Dual Core Intel, 6GB RAM , FCS 2

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Failure to iniatilize - Canon XL-H1
on Aug 4, 2010 at 3:36:25 pm

Is the camera still set up -- in the camera's menus -- to play DV and not HDV?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Colin Lahana
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:14:33 am

Hi Dave,

Been away for a few days!

I have tried it on all the settings but no luck. I did film some stuff in 16:9 DV and it captures that OK.

When I try the playback on HDV or Auto it won't establish a connection. If you start FCP with the camera plugged in and on it says cannot find the device. Must be a bum setting in FCP I think in the preset.

Colin

Cheers

Colin
MacPro 2007
SL 10.6.4
FCS2
Canon XL-H1 , 5D Mark II

Return to posts index

pete johnson
on Oct 4, 2010 at 11:32:59 am

The forums are full of issues regarding HDV capture on the latest fcp/OS 10.6.4 systems. The majority are from people who have been capturing on older systems with no problems. I'm have the same trouble with a Sony Z1E. The consensus seems to be falling towards firewire 800 to 40(9pin>4pin)issues. We're still waiting to hear if anyone gets anything useful from either Mac or, in my case, Sony, about patches or firmware upgrades.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]