FORUMS: list search recent posts

a simple compressor question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen hoyal
a simple compressor question
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:45:41 am

I am trying to produce a high quality dvd using compressor. I was told that if I want less noise and a cleaner dvd image to not do the two pass vbr settings in compressor but instead use only the one pass and have the settings set to 5.5 at the lowest to 7.7 at the highest. Is this a good idea. What are some ideas in order to produce a great looking dvd.
I have a dvd 5 that I will put up to one hour and 20 Minutes.
Then I have a dvd 9 that will have more footage.

What are the dis-adavantages of only doing a one pass vbr best veruses a two pass. Would it be good to do a one pass vbr?

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

John Watts
Re: a simple compressor question
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:04:45 am

I have better luck with single pass constant bit rate, if the video is not too difficult. Single pass variable bit rate can work too, but you will have to check your entire project carefully, vbr can cause some weird errors.

On most occasions that I have tried 2 pass vbr in a software encoder I have had hit and miss results.
Have received some encodes back that can look pretty blocky.

Truthfully, the only time I've trusted 2 pass vbr is with the top dollar hardware encoding systems where the tape source is analyzed and then captured on the second pass like the old DVD Maestro. But that is an expensive and outdated option now.

John Watts

Return to posts index

stephen hoyal
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:22:18 am

HI,
When you say single pass do you mean cbror vbr. Do you recommend vbr best or vbr? My project will be about 90 minutes on the first dvd and double that on the dvd 9 that I will be using?

also that blotchiness is what I do not want. This is a documentary and has lost of transitions and cuts.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:53:46 am

With that much video you'll need a CBR setting of around 6.5 mb/s for a single layer disc. Stay away from Compressor single pass VBR - it just plain sucks. Theres no analysis pass so its useless really

Truthfully Compressor is a really crappy encoder if you compare it to many available - both cheap and expensive. It falls apart at lower bitrates and its VBR settings invite tons of bitrate spikes.

Pros of CBR - the highest bitrate setting across the entire stream
Cons - limited on amount of space and unable to bump your rate if needed in those areas you really need it.

Not sure what your budget is but if it were me, I'd buy Bitvice and throw compressor in the trash :)

Return to posts index

John Watts
on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:31:07 pm

I can't corroborate the "suckiness" of compressor. Have not used it much but so far it has been OK, not particularly great but acceptable.

If you've got time to thoroughly check your encodes I would try a one pass vbr with a peak of 7.0 and maybe a low as 5.0 or less. You have a lot of video to crunch and I don't know what your menu or extras will include. Calculate your space needs based on the peak number. You may have to try multiple encodes. This is assuming that you will be working with compressor.

If exploring another compression program is within budget, there are some better ones.
Haven't tried bitvice myself. On the PC side I use Grass Valley's Canopus Pro Coder 3. The mastering settings put out a beautiful file but it is pretty slow.
I still know some people who swear by Media Cleaner.

Good luck.

John Watts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]