FORUMS: list search recent posts

.MTS converted to .MOV still not rendered in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Covey
.MTS converted to .MOV still not rendered in FCP
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:10:24 am

I am using, as of recently, a Panasonic HDC-HS250 and I have been a long time Final Cut Pro HD user. This is my first go at an HD camcorder and I've been having some problems with getting the video to a editable form in FCP. I have Wondershare, so I simply converted the .MTS files to Quicktime HD video and imported them into FCP. I made sure the settings (frame rate, frame size, compressor) of my raw clips matched those of my sequence exactly, but the clips were still unrendered as soon as I placed them on the timeline. I've tried many different file types in Wondershare to convert to, with many different combinations of frame rates/frame sizes/compressors, all the while matching the appropriate settings of my project and sequence in FCP, it's still a no-go. By the way, I still have Final Cut Pro HD version 4.5, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it... Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: .MTS converted to .MOV still not rendered in FCP
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:38:49 am

What FORMAT of QT HD Video? Quicktime isn't a format...it is a wrapper. That's like saying "I bought a car." What KIND of car? DVCPRO HD, HDV, ProRes, MPEG-4, H.264...these are formats.

FCP 4.5 is limited in the HD formats it works with. DVCPRO HD, Uncompressed HD, Apple Intermediate Codec. That's about it. DVCPRO HD is your best bet, so you need to convert to that format.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Covey
on Aug 4, 2010 at 4:36:16 pm

Ok, I'm obviously still in the learning process... Anyway, when converting the .MTS files in Wondershare, I have a bunch of different options for wrappers. I chose .MOV because I'm familiar with it (is this even the best choice?). I can choose either the regular one or the HD one. With the regular Quicktime I only have two options for codecs: Xvid and H.264. With the HD Quicktime option I've only got one choice: "High Definition H.264". Regardless of which one I've tried, I always make sure my sequence and project settings in FCP match the clip that I've made, and the clip is still unrendered once it hits the timeline. Like I said, this is my first go at HD video editing in Final Cut Pro, so I could really use the pointers... Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2010 at 5:50:29 pm

[Joe Covey] "Anyway, when converting the .MTS files in Wondershare"

Don't use that...because it gives you two options that aren't editing codecs.

[Joe Covey] "Xvid and H.264. With the HD Quicktime option I've only got one choice: "High Definition H.264"."

Neither of those are editable in FCP. Those are DELIVERY codecs. You need to convert to DVCPRO HD. SInce you have FCP 4.5, the only way to do this would be with Quicktime. Export the files from QT as DVCPRO HD.

[Joe Covey] "I always make sure my sequence and project settings in FCP match the clip that I've made, and the clip is still unrendered once it hits the timeline"

Because FCP 4.5 doesn't work with those file formats. FCP 6 or 7 might get you sequences that don't require rendering, but editing will be bogged down BIG TIME.

Shane

Return to posts index

Joe Covey
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:21:57 pm

Ok, I think I'm starting to get it. So I convert the .MTS files through Wondershare and then have to convert it again to an editable codec for FCP... is there another software you would recommend that would convert the .MTS straight into DVCPRO HD?

I actually did find the problem: my pixel aspect ratios wasn't matching. I simply changed the one of my sequence from "DVCPRO HD 720p60" to "Square" to match my video and I was able to play it on the timeline without needing to render. But as you stated, editing is really bogged down and frames are also dropped rather frequently through playback.

Another question: the video doesn't need rendering, but why does the audio? The audio formats (the clip's being 16 bit integer and FCP's being 32 point floating) are the only things not matching. Can I change them to match so I don't need to render it? I'm really not even sure what those two terms mean... Totally lost on this, don't know a whole lot about audio.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:26:12 pm

[Joe Covey] "is there another software you would recommend that would convert the .MTS straight into DVCPRO HD?"

MPEG STREAMCLIP. It's free too. http://www.square5.com

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]