FORUMS: list search recent posts

internal or external RAID 0

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gyorgy Beck
internal or external RAID 0
on Aug 3, 2010 at 7:38:33 pm

Greetings for you all. This is my first post here and the question I'm about to ask seems very simple, but after a lot of google-ing I've found the answers quite contradicting. I'm about to start a new project which is a multi-stream video installation using several different kinds of source material. I want to optimize my Mac Pro and FCP for the job. I've bought two 1TB hard disks for RAID 0 and a 2TB for Time Machine backup. Since I already have four disks in the computer, I was thinking about taking two disks out and put them in a FW800 external enclosure, and put the two new ones in, for the RAID 0. Then I thought it might not be necessary and I should just create the RAID in the FW800. I google-d a lot to find out the advantages and disadvantages of having internal or external RAID 0, but I could not reach a solid conclusion. I've got more and more curious, so I've thought I'll ask your opinions. Thanks.

http://www.silencefriction.net

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: internal or external RAID 0
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:27:10 pm

I'm running internal 3 drive raid 0. 4th drive is system drive. I Have external lacie as time machine backup. IMO I don't see a need to waste internal bay on time machine...it could be connected USB for all purposes and run overnight.

Return to posts index

Gyorgy Beck
on Aug 3, 2010 at 9:56:33 pm

Thanks for the answers.

Jason, I might have not been clear in the post, but I did plan to have the backup external and I'm only unsure whether to go internal with the RAID.

Jeremy, I also thought the speed could be the issue, but some people claim that using FW800 the speed difference is minimal if any, If the deadline would not be so close I would do a thorough test to see the digits. :-)

http://www.silencefriction.net

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Aug 3, 2010 at 8:31:07 pm

I'm not sure of all the advantages or disadvantages are, but the big advantage I do see is, if you go internal you'll be running on a SATA interface so your RAID 0 will be much faster than if you configure it via firewire. And if you're running RAID 0 I'm assuming you're going for speed especially if you'll be backing up to a 2TB drive.

Return to posts index

Rob Rippe
on Aug 4, 2010 at 1:41:49 am

I would agree w/ Jeremy. I have 3 500gb internal hard drives on a 0 raid.
Using blackmagic's disk speed test, I have Read @ 222.9 MB/s and Write @ 225.8 MB/s.
My external (each on an independent computer lead) 800 firewire drives are slower.

Note: if you have multiple drives connected to one firewire cable going to your computer (a daisy chain of drives), speed will default to the slowest drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]