FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Leopard Bugs???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
Snow Leopard Bugs???
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:07:43 am

Hey guys,

I have been using Snow Leopard since January and even did a clean install of everything 90 days ago.

It has been working fine till this morning and now it will not boot in Snow Leopard. It boots in Leopard and runs fine. The Snow Leopard hard drive even shows up when booted in Leopard and works fine. I Carbon Copied Snow Leopard to a firewire drive that shows up as a bootable drive but will not boot.

I have done nothin, no new installs, no upgrades that I can remember, that would prompt it not to boot.

Is there a Snow Leopard virus going around?

Does this mean that I have to re-install everything or does Snow Leopard install disc have a fix-it program?

Any ideas besides the dreaded re-install everything two day marathon?

thanks

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Snow Leopard Bugs???
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58:46 am

How is that Firewire Drive Formated? What is the Partition Map Scheme?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:07:33 am

Run disk warrior on the drive.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Aug 3, 2010 at 5:14:38 am

I did run disk warrior and the firewire drive is extended-formated. not journaled.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:23:29 am

What is the Partition Map Scheme?

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:43:37 pm

Steve, I did not partition the drive. It is a 500gb IDE drive that I installed in the spare optical bay.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:12:41 pm

[Nate Stephens] I Carbon Copied Snow Leopard to a firewire drive that shows up as a bootable drive but will not boot....
Hi
If its an IDE drive the likelihood is that when it was originally initialised it had an Apple Partition Map installed.

An Intel Mac won't boot from that Boot-partition scheme - Intel Macs need a GUID Partition Map.
So before you CCC'd the data from your original boot drive you should have repartitioned the FW drive with GUID (in the Custom options).
[Nate Stephens]
"KISS Principle"

That means setting it up "GUID to go"!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:30:19 pm

"If its an IDE drive the likelihood is that when it was originally initialised it had an Apple Partition Map installed.

An Intel Mac won't boot from that Boot-partition scheme - Intel Macs need a GUID Partition Map."

NOT TRUE. I was actualy just talking about this the other day with a buddy who works as a Genius in a Apple Store. He tells me you can and in fact the external drives they use to boot computers off of are mostly partitioned using Apple Partition map. He says they do that so that they can use the external bootable drive with any machine (they have boot partitions on there clear back to 10.4). He told me a PPP machine cannot boot from a GUID partition but a Intel most defy nitty can boot from a Apple Partition Map drive.

He did say that it is recommended to have the drive partitioned GUID for your main system drive but it does not have to be.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:37:25 pm

Hi
Silly me - there was me believing Apple's documentation ;-)
"To install Mac OS X on the disk, you must partition the drive to match the native partition scheme for your computer's processor type (Intel or PowerPC).
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1600

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Aug 3, 2010 at 5:19:41 pm

This is all good to know and means I need to do some research to get the firewire drive to act as a boot drive.

But it does not explain or help me decipher the original problem with the internal Snow Leopard boot drive. That had been working great until yesterday, when the machine refused to boot from it.

If you hold down the option key when powering up, the Mac sees it, just wont boot from it.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Thanks Guys-Ya fixed it
on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:54:35 am

Don't ask me why after 6 months of working fine the IDE boot drive in the spare optical bay decided not to boot. It was never partitioned, just 500gbs big.

But it did fail to boot. So I restarted in Leopard (on another HD) and the Snow Leopard drive was still there, I Carbon Copied it this time to a GUID partitioned firewire drive and dang the firewire drive booted in Snow Leopard just fine. So back to leopard I went and did the GUID partition on the original Snow leopard IDE hard drive and then Carbon Copied the firewire SL boot drive back to were it belongs and double dang, you guys are magicians cause now the machine is working just like it was last week.

And I didn't have to open all those software packages and load each program and all their damn serial numbers... So triple thank you..... even tho there are rumors that you don't need to Guid your IDE, it worked for me..

Thanks again..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]