FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP playhead stops a few frames after

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Noel Gomez
FCP playhead stops a few frames after
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:37:46 am

Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and if anyone knows of any fixes.

I am currently running Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 on a Mac Pro.

The issue is that when I hit the space bar to stop playing, the playhead skips roughly 2-3 frames ahead.

It's not a huge issue but it's pretty irritating when I'm trying to edit accurately particularly when editing to music.

So far I've played around with the System Settings and found a "Frame offset" setting in the "Playback Control" tab.
By default it seems to be on 4 frames, I've reset it to 0 frames but from what I've read that wouldn't really affect my sequence as it should only affect any image being sent out to an external broadcast monitor.

If anyone has encountered this issue and knows of any fixes please let me know.

Thanks!
Dennis

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP playhead stops a few frames after
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:40:40 am

The frame offset is to sync the picture and sound when using an external monitor via an I/O card as you have assumed and has nothing to do with transport control keys like spacebar.

Instead of hitting the space bar to park on a music based point to edit, just hit the IN key to mark the edit point. You can do this on the fly.

Return to posts index

Dennis Noel Gomez
on Aug 3, 2010 at 12:49:21 am

Thanks for the info Michael.

I've been able to work around the problem so far but it's still an inconvenience that shouldn't be there so I was just curious if it's a common bug in FCS3 or if it's just something regarding my FCP settings.

Just to add a bit more info I just did an update on Pro Applications and my FCS is fully updated.

I'll keep playing around trying to fix the issue but if you find anything out please let me know.

Thanks again!

Dennis Noel Gomez
In house video Editor
Take One Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 3, 2010 at 4:44:00 am

It\'s just the way FCP has always been. It\'s the same problem for hitting mark in/out on the fly.

However, I discovered that pressing the marker button on the fly is dead on. So when I\'m quickly laying down clips to music, I\'ll play the song, and just tap the marker button (M) to the beat.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Aug 3, 2010 at 3:10:25 am

What are you using for your media drive and how is it connected to computer?

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:16:38 am

Yeah this is an fcp thing when connected to an external monitor through a card- I think- will need to confirm with others. Many editors don't notice it, weirdly. If you have fcp run off just the displays it stops bang on. I remember tearing my hair out coming from avid. Punch the ins and the outs or like others have said use markers on the fly. Are you by any chance using a blackmagic card?

Return to posts index

Dennis Noel Gomez
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:25:58 am

Yes I am working with a Black Magic Decklink Extreme card.

My previous work station had a Black Magic card but it was never really connected to any external devices. With that I never had this issue.

Would it be possible the issue is being created because of the Black Magic Card?
That doesn't seem to make sense but I'm not really sure what else I could try.

Dennis Noel Gomez
In house video Editor
Take One Productions

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:16:06 am

I don't want to jump the gun and say it's definitely the card's fault but I don't think I have had this issue with konas. Or when not using a card. One thing I used to do if it bugged me was hit apple F12 to quickly turn off external monitoring when stopping the playhead mattered to me for rhythm.

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:30:13 pm

I worked on a system the other day that had a Black Magic card in it. The problem I had was that if I hit the space bar to stop playback, the marker would stop, but the audio and video would continue to play in the Viewer window. I was tearing my hair out.

I had to trash the prefs and restart a few times, then finally did the old shut it down, go get some coffee, come back and then it worked. I've worked on lots of machines with or without AJA cards, never had a problem. That was the first machine I worked on with a Black Magic card (set to ingest Beta/monitor out only I believe) and I was over it inside of a few hours. Also came back from lunch to continue digitizing some beta, and the BM card had lost the signal somehow. That was another hour of down time, and yes, the card was properly seated. Voodoo I tell you, voodoo.

Return to posts index

frank Delaney
on Oct 19, 2011 at 9:47:25 am

I have this problem too. I am sure its a blackmagic thing. I never had this problem with a kona card or with FCP on its own until I recently put in a blackmagic hd extreme 3d card. Initially i thought it was a ram thing so I added RAM, no difference. The other edit suite I work on is identical to mine in every way - hardware and software - except it has a kona 3 card instead of a blackmagic card and this problem is not there on that machine.

I have looked at every way of getting rid of the problem but with no success, I am now using the mark in workaround which I hate. A pro suite should work like a pro suite.

Maybe the team over at blackmagic could SORT IT OUT!!!!!

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Dec 16, 2011 at 4:58:10 pm

AJA cards never have this problem, probably because of the framebuffer in the AJA products.

I have seen this problem on multiple Blackmagic FCP systems.

It's not a FCP thing, it's a Blackmagic thing, and it ain't normal.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]