FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bin structure and sequences for feature film edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
micheal mcalexander
Bin structure and sequences for feature film edit
on Aug 2, 2010 at 3:24:32 pm

Hello everyone,

Okay I've just wrapped my first feature and I'm about to start the edit on FCP. I've got a couple of noob questions...

1) Can anyone suggest a good bin structure. I've been googling around and found some ideas, but I'm looking for suggestions from those who have already cut a feature on FCP.

2) Sequences - one sequence for the entire movie? One sequence per scene? One sequence per act? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Micheal

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Bin structure and sequences for feature film edit
on Aug 2, 2010 at 5:57:28 pm

Buy Shane Ross' DVD - Getting Organized
http://training.creativecow.net/dvd_store/get_organized_fcp/get_organized_f...

This will be the best $50 you ever spend.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 2, 2010 at 6:00:12 pm

[micheal mcalexander] "1) Can anyone suggest a good bin structure. I've been googling around and found some ideas, but I'm looking for suggestions from those who have already cut a feature on FCP."

One bin per scene. THen possibly put those in a bin by Act...or by number (1-20)...or by beat, meaning all the scenes that hit this beat, then all those that hit that beat. I generally go by Act (which in TV is easy), or by numbers, 1-20, 21-40...etc.

[micheal mcalexander] "2) Sequences - one sequence for the entire movie? One sequence per scene? One sequence per act? Any suggestions?"

One sequence per Act, or by beat again. Or by Reel...if cutting for film, working in REELS is pretty important. Groups of scenes that have a commonality (all that take place in NY, all that happen in the store)...or by something that makes sense for your film. Then when you are done, join them all in one sequence. Or, if for a film out, by REEL.

I have all sorts of organizational tips on my GETTING ORGANIZED DVD...

http://store.creativecow.net/p/63/getting_organized_in_final_cut_pro

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christian Hart
on Aug 2, 2010 at 11:08:38 pm

I'm no expert - have only cut a few films outside of my usual doc work but my current one is shaping up like this:

Others might not like it but it works for me.

i'll add a bin for complete cuts or parts of cuts (reels) further down the line.

all the best.

Return to posts index

micheal mcalexander
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:15:35 pm

hey guys thanks for all the info... keep it coming :)

I'm slogging through all my takes now and the Ki Pro uses it's own naming convention for filenames.... any suggestions for file name conventions.... such as...

SCENE#_TAKE_DESCRIPTION and maybe adding G or NG for good/no good?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:20:33 pm

As others have suggested, pick up Shane Ross' DVD on getting organized in FCP. His DVD was HUGE in organizing our first documentary project last year. If you really want to know how to organize this and any other project in FCP, it's a must own.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

micheal mcalexander
on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:16:40 pm

hey walter

i totally want to get Shane's video but I just spent my life savings doing this feature at the university I work at so cash is a little tight now.... I'm going to try and get it through the department I work for , but that'll take some time so I'm searching the forums for any info I can piece together

shane was very kind to give me some pointers in his posting :)

micheal

Return to posts index

Rob Schultz
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:21:46 pm

I usually keep at least two copies of everything. For a non-doc, it's one set of organization by scene, and another set of organization kept in camera rolls by date shot, for the inevitable 'oh, I know we grabbed a pick up of that at the end of day 5 that we didn't have time to log' type moments.

Rob Schultz
-

This post, like so much of Creation, is notArt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]