FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon 7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Knapp
Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon 7D
on Jul 31, 2010 at 8:48:32 pm

I've searched high and low for a good answer, forgive it there is redundancy on a post I've missed that does address this better.

I have FCP 5. Obviously, looks like I don't have the ProRes codec available to me---though one guy posted and claimed to have been able to get ProRes working in FCP 5, but no specifics on how really, taking it from Library/quicktime or putting it there, whatever the case may be. Though the codec is in my quicktime folder, it does me no good in terms of finding it to use in transcoding.

I have a bunch of footage from a Canon 7D I'm trying to edit. I usually can transcode with MpegStreamclip in the past, but with this new and incredible footage, anything I've tried based on recommendations searching this topic still leave me with files that need to be rendered in the timeline.

So, yes, I don't have ProRes at my disposal, but is there any codec running on my system seen here that is workable? Am I just back in the stone age with FCP 5?

Attached is what I have in terms of codecs, but how can I grab and install a few more options, even perhaps XDCam or something I've read about if need be? Any suggestions aside from the obvious "upgrade" to FCP 6 or 7? I just can't afford that at the moment, but nor can I afford to have a 2-3 minute clip tell me it has to render for an hour in the timeline.

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Final Cut Pro 5 and Canon 7D
on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:39:26 pm

Shaun,

Sorry, dude. No magic solution. Upgrade.

Mark

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:48:08 pm

Oh man, Mark, painful answer. Can't believe there is no codec I can use.

Gotta love technology and its exponential increase and advancement, keeping up and upgrading are the challenge we all battle with, huh? Fun process, certainly, but not when pinching pennies.

[ Now, if I could only counterfeit money like the Private Federal Reserve "Money Trust" does, then an upgrade wouldn't be a question. ]

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 31, 2010 at 9:53:45 pm

You're not able to transcode to DVCProHD with MPEG Streamclip?

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:00:03 pm

I thought I tried these Options in the screen capture, but if memory proves, they had to be rendered in the timeline.

Shaun K.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:13:34 pm

You've got an option for Apple Intermediate Codec there, try that.

But yes you're up against with FCP 5.

You could also try shooting at 720p in the 7D and using the DVC PRO HD 720p codec they're identical frame sizes. (Although it appears you already have the footage).

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
on Aug 1, 2010 at 1:55:56 am

Wow, getting a quick education on this Canon 7D and it's remarkable footage. Great stuff, but....didn't anticipate this "gotcha" on the post side of things.

I tried the Apple Intermediate Codec, it makes me render from the timeline.

Yeah, apparently upgrade is my only option it would seem, if wanting to keep and use this footage from the other nights photoshoot---though on another post, I was a bit stunned to read of one guy who claimed to get the ProRes codec in and working with FCP 5...so, maybe I better search that guy out anew and write him directly in that thread to find out how he pulled that one off.

Shaun K.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Aug 1, 2010 at 1:58:38 am

"I tried the Apple Intermediate Codec, it makes me render from the timeline"

You need to make sure your sequence settings match your footage settings to avoid having to render.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/biscardi_walter/realtime_sequences/...

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 31, 2010 at 10:15:43 pm

You can transcode the 7D footage to any codec you have on the system.

Use DVCPRO HD - it will still look Great!

Now, make sure your timeline matches the footage.
Start a New project, use easy setup.
Import newly transcoded footage - will NOT need to be rendered to play in sequence.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 31, 2010 at 11:01:42 pm

If your having to render then that means that what you are converting to does not match your timeline settings.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Barclay Rabbidge
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:50:29 am

I'm getting a weird type of letter boxing going on with my footage filmed in all the settings on the 7D, this drop down is why.. but, how do I change it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]