FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drop frame problem when capturing.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre Brandt
Drop frame problem when capturing.
on Jul 29, 2010 at 11:26:47 pm

Hello all,

I've been filming HDV 1080i on DV cassettes on a Sony HVz5.

My first problem is that when capturing some shots whiteout timecode break FCP has been making 2 clips with a 4 or 5 second break in timecode between them. If I re watch de tape on the camera and recapture the same point (between the two clips) their is no problem, no drop frames, no 3 second of missing information.
The second problem, in the same "style" is that I have other shots with a 1 drop frame in them in deed. FCP stops the capture and sais: "Stream Problem - Capture was stopped due to a problem with the incoming stream. This might be a problem with the tape. All media up to this point has ben preserved." I understand that their is a drop frame but I'd to capture over that (as I have been doing for years in DV format).

I wanted to know if the first problem comes from the fact that I am capturing HDV on a Western Digital Mac Book studio 1To (its a 7200 rotational rate) hard drive, the camera is connected in FireWire 800 to the drive, and the drive to my MacBook pro by FW800. I capture all the footage on the hard drive. I've been working that way with normal DV (which has the same data rate) since years and I had no problems.
A last peace of info that might be useful is that when I wanted to log clips say from 00:00:03:15 to 00:57:04:12 (almost one hour), FCP did not find beginning time code and said Error. (the starting timecode does however exist). I connect the camera in iLink.

Can someone tell me whats going on ? Should I try capturing the footage with a real transfer machine and not the camera ? Is their a setting in FCP that I'm not aware of ? I'd like to try to keep it simple because I have 18 tapes now and have some more to shoot the next 3 days.

Thank your for your kind attention and your potential help.

motion pictures + storytelling = ?
-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Drop frame problem when capturing.
on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:20:09 am

DV is not the same as HDV. Even if they have the same data rate. You do not have enough throughput with your HD and camera connected. They work off the same bus. If you are fortunate enough to have the MBPro that has an express 34 slot, you are in luck. Get a esata or FW800 add on card.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alexandre Brandt
Re: Drop frame problem when capturing.
on Jul 30, 2010 at 9:00:35 am

If I down convert my HDV to SD with the camera (the camera has an option to do that with iLink), will I get the same problem ?

Or, if a capture on my MacBook Pro drive and then just transfer the footage to my external drive ?

motion pictures + storytelling = ?
-> FILMMAKING !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]