FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project file is huge

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Cameron
Project file is huge
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:28:22 pm

Hello,

Have a client here working with XDCAM EX 1080p 23.98. They are using the multicam function. One Editor is working with a Footage bin containing bins for various scenes. Each bin contains the clips and a sequence or two. That project is about 14 megs.

The other Editor has the same set up. However also has a "Selects" bin that contains sequences that are duplicates and cutdowns of sequences made from the groups layout. This Bin is 178 megs so as soon as that folder is married to the project the entire project is 200megs.

trying to determine what is different about the way those sequences are created that causes such a drastic jump.

Both editors seem to be doing similar workflows with the exception of the selects folder.

Both systems are MacPro 2,1 The system with the issues has 10g of RAM the other has 8.

Thanks all

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Project file is huge
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:13:05 pm

[Chris Cameron] "...a "Selects" bin that contains sequences that are duplicates and cutdowns of sequences made from the groups layout...."

The number of bins and clips isn't the only thing that determines a project's size.
The number and complexity of edit sequences also makes a significant contribution.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Cameron
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:27:53 pm

Thanks Dave.

Yes looking closely between the two styles, it appears that Editor A (with problems) Has a "Selects" bin containing sequences with what appears is many on the fly angle changes. Editor B's sequence assemblies are whole clip selects strung out. That probably accounts for the exponentially increased number of reference clips when i highlight all clips in each sequence and get "item properties".

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:06:32 pm

Chris, It seems to me sequences really start to bloat a project. The solution I came up with is to create a new project called "...Project Archives" and as I accumulate unneeded sequences that I still want to hang on to; I open the "Project Archive" project and copy over the unneeded sequences to it. Then delete them out of my working project. This way it is much faster to load and less cumbersome.

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]