FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with 7D footage, EDL and bringing footage online

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Verwayen
Working with 7D footage, EDL and bringing footage online
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:29:24 am

I'm about to start work on a project filmed with a 7D camera. I was just wondering if there was anything I should know about working with this particular type of footage.

I understand that I will have to do an offline and an online edit. I understand the basics of what is involved but have never had to do it practically myself. Could someone walk me through exactly what I have to do in Final Cut Pro. Eg. How to compress the footage, How to create the EDL through final cut and how to use it to bring the uncompressed footage online once its edited.

Much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with 7D footage, EDL and bringing footage online
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:48:04 am

[Amy Verwayen] "I understand that I will have to do an offline and an online edit"

Why?

Drives are cheap...you encode the DSLR footage to ProRes LT...edit at that resolution, and then you are done. Even if you went to ProRes 422, you can still edit full res. You will NEVER refer back to the master H.264 files...ever. That isn't an editing codec.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Amy Verwayen
on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:17:58 am

I don't want to edit in h.264 because that would slow down the computer a lot but I need the final product to be as good a quality as possible when I finally export. I am new to working with HD footage. If you can just edit in the top quality what is the point of offline/online edits?

Return to posts index

peter pop
on Jul 28, 2010 at 10:35:24 am

>If you can just edit in the top quality what is the point of offline/online edits?

I think that was Shane's point. Unless you are restricted to dealing with USB2 drives or need high portability, There is little point in the traditional offline/online workflow.

Convert the files from the camera to ProRes Lt or 422 (personally I still go 422) and edit with those files. Back up your camera 'rushes' for archive

Canon provide a plugin for the L+T window of FCP that can do the job (and can also add a 'time of day' timecode).

I work with 7d, 550d and 5dmk2 footage on a daily basis this way. I've never had any real problems.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:07:40 pm

[Amy Verwayen] "I need the final product to be as good a quality as possible when I finally export."

...and if at Log & Transfer time you make your footage either flavor of ProRes Shane mentions, that is PRECISELY what you will have. There is no further conversion nor offline/online nonsense necessary.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]