FORUMS: list search recent posts

Macbook Pro, Scratch disk issue during log and capture question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Powley
Macbook Pro, Scratch disk issue during log and capture question
on Jul 27, 2010 at 10:50:22 pm

Hello,
I just purchased my Macbook Pro. I need to log and capture some video from my camera which outputs on a Firewire 400 cable. I had to get a converter, 4 pin to 9 pin, firewire 400 to 800 cable, to load video to my computer. My issue is that, I planned on having my external hard drive off of the firewire 800 port. How can I log and capture and save to my external HD with only one firewire 800 port on the macbook pro? My external HD does have USB 2.0, firewire 400 and 800, and eSATA inputs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
Re: Macbook Pro, Scratch disk issue during log and capture question
on Jul 27, 2010 at 11:44:21 pm

Hi.

Can you give a little more detail about what you're capturing with regards to format and how many ports you have on you hard drive?

If you're capturing SD footage, you can technically connect your camera to the FW and your hard drive to the USB. I personally don't like doing that because USB doesn't have as high a sustained transfer rate as FireWire. But, because SD doesn't eat up that much, it's doable. Obviously, test out this configuration (let alone any new configuration you use) and check that you don't have dropped frames or choppy video.

HDV video may get weird. HD video is usually transferred like files, so it wouldn't really matter except for the amount of time X amount of data needs to get moved. Of course, if you're using taped based HD (HDCAM? if I'm not mistaken...too many acronyms...), that's a different ballgame.

Another potential setup is if your hard drive has two FireWire 800 or 400 ports. You can connect your hard drive to your computer using the FW 800. Then, go from the second 800/400 over to your camera.

If your drive doesn't have a second FW, then you're stuck with the USB option. Unless the 400 and 800 ports share their link, which I very highly doubt as I've never seen that happen.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Thomas Powley
on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:30:09 am

I am capturing from DV tape.

My External HD does have 2 FW 800 ports.

You wrote "Another potential setup is if your hard drive has two FireWire 800 or 400 ports. You can connect your hard drive to your computer using the FW 800. Then, go from the second 800/400 over to your camera."

I guess I will try this. Any precautions that you can foresee I should take?

Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:38:35 am

Plug FW drive into Laptop.
Plug Cam into FW Drive.
Edit.
Use only FW400 (hard drive) and FW800 (Laptop)
Don't use USB.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:40:06 pm

The only things that I always practice is to make sure that the camera (or deck) I'm using via FW is turned off before plugging it in. But otherwise, you should be able to capture no problem.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Thomas Powley
on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:32:37 pm

worked like a charm.
thanks
Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]