FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Premiere side by side

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warner
FCP and Premiere side by side
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:58:00 pm

What would be the best dual monitor card to use if I wanted to get the most of the Mercury engine for Premiere CS5 and FCP installed in the same Mac Pro? I am going to be buying a new MP and had originally wanted to go with the ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB card, but apparently the Mercury engine won't work as well or at all with that card.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP and Premiere side by side
on Jul 28, 2010 at 12:21:26 am

CS5 is designed to work with NVIDIA. FCS3 works best with ATI if you want to use Color.

Meanwhile DaVinci Resolve is also designed to work with NVIDIA when it is available on the Mac.

Choose the software and optimize the hardware to suit.

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:49:45 am

So if I want to keep both FCS3 and Premiere CS5 on the Mac Pro there is not one card that will work well with both? Hmmmm. I want FCS3 as my default editor but I am hearing good things about Premiere so I was hoping to put a video card in that would play nice with both. I am buying the Adobe Production Premium bundle so I'll have Premiere.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:55:35 am

I am in the same conundrum as I am wanting to have CS5, FCS3 and DaVinci Resolve. This was discussed the other day in this thread -

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1096564

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 30, 2010 at 12:02:18 pm

The Mercury Playback Engine is comprised of three aspects

1 - 64 bit native code (uses all your CPU cores and threads)
2 - 64 bit memory addressing
3 - GPU hardware acceleration with an appropriate nvidia GPU

You're going to get 2 of the 3 aspects no matter what. I think the question you need to ask yourself is whether you're going to use Color or not. A lot of people like it, but not as many people use it regularly. If Color is a part of your workflow, understand whether nvidia will work with it at all and decide accordingly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]