FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5d

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Burke
Canon 5d
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:03:30 pm

Hey all I have a bunch of of what I'm told is canon 5d footage, there all h.264 files with thm file in there folders. Now can o just work with the h.264 files? Or should I up res everything to apple pro res 422? My friend says I can use log and transfer to do this but I can't figure out how. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon 5d
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:07:26 pm

#51 - Canon 5D MkII / Canon 7D footage into FCP

Shane's Stock Answer #51 - how do you bring in footage from the Canon 5D and 7D cameras into FCP to edit?

You need to convert all of the Canon 5D MkII footage from the H.264 format that it records, to ProRes 422 (ProRes HQ is unnecessary...no quality difference) Yes, the file sizes get drastically larger. H.264 is an acquisition and delivery format, not an editing one.

You can use the Canon EOS Log and Transfer plugin that works with the 1D, 5D and 7D cameras. This plugin is great because it brings in the camera's TIME OF DAY as timecode, instead of starting each clip at 00:00:00:00 like Compressor or other conversion software will do.

CANON

Here is a tutorial on how to use it:

Editblog tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:09:59 pm

[Greg Burke] "...should I up res everything to apple pro res 422?"

You don't have to upres -- it's already 1920x1080 -- but you do have to transcode to Prores.

[Greg Burke] "My friend says I can use log and transfer to do this but I can't figure out how."

Use Compressor. Don't do any more than 30 files at a time. Compressor tends to choke on any more than that.

While you're at it, you should also double-check the frame rate on the footage. You may need to convert it to 29.97, also done in Compressor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 27, 2010 at 11:49:00 pm

Check both the frame rate and audio sample rate. Old firmware on the 5D meant that frame rate of 30fps and audio sample rate of 44.1khz was the only choice so if that is the case, use Compressor as Dave says and change both the frame rate and audio sample rate (to 48khz) when you convert to Prores422.

If it is shot with the new firmware and the frame rate and audio rate is correct, then use Shane's method of Log & Transfer with the Canon plugin installed as it gives you the opportunity to enter a reel name and it converts time of day data to timecode, unlike Compressor.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:24:21 am

Thanks guys! I got the Log and Transfer to Work on the Canon 7D folders but I get errors messages on anything shot on the 5D. ANy ideas, Thanks again for all the help.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:36:07 am

Are you working with the CF card or just a bunch of files copied onto a drive? The L&T software needs to see the original file structure so either capture off the original CF cards or an image file of the cards. Just copying the folder off the card won't work.

You can still use Compressor or MPEGStreamclip to transfer the 5D H264 files to ProRes, but you don't get the niceties of the L&T method of setting reel details plus timecode from the time of day data which is nice but not essential.

Return to posts index

Colin Lahana
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:17:56 am

I see in Scott Simmons preview of hi webinar that he says you can reconstruct the original file structure.

Does anyone know how to do that?

On a recent trip to Canada and Alaska I captured a lot of footage as well as photos but imported them all into Aperture. I am now faced with trying to get them out of Aperture into FCP. DOes anyone know if the files imported into Aperture undergo any compression or are they as recorded on the camera?

Cheers

Colin

Cheers

Colin
MacPro 2007
SL 10.6.4
FCS2
Canon XL-H1 , 5D Mark II

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]