FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will mini Mac work ok with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Replogle
Will mini Mac work ok with FCP
on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:33:51 pm

We currently have a couple of Mac Pros that we use for video editing. We were considering getting a mini Mac 2.4Ghz Intel Core2 duo with 4Gb of 1067mhz DDR3. I was wondering if anyone has used this for some light SD video editing. I'm talking about using it got 5 minute clips with a couple of tracks of SD video and audio. Has anyone used one of these for this? How was your experience? What version of FCP did you use? We can't justify the cost of another Mac Pro for this situation but the mini Mac works for us price wise, if it will be capable of simple SD video editing.
Thanks,
Chris Replogle

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
Re: Will mini Mac work ok with FCP
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:24:14 pm

I would imagine that it would easily handle a project like that. SD is pretty light processing wise. I would wager that you could do some HD. :~P

My laptop, for example, is a MacBookPro from 2007 (if I remember correctly). It has a 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 GB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I currently run FCP 6.0.6 and it works really well. SD and HD

The newest computers that Apple release recently have better processors too, I believe.

Really though, the render times is what I would think could come up as an issue. But only if you did really heavy things (AKA red render idicators on your timeline). Obviously, if you store your media on a drive other than the system drive, that'll help.

These are my two cents.

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:31:55 pm

System requirements for FCS 3: http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

I use a mac mini to process compressor files via Qmaster. It generally works well for that purpose, but I haven't tried anything else. In fact, I think because of the way I have all my machines set to process, it often outperforms my other machines since all it does it process compressor files, fiddle with backups, etc.

If you check the system requirements for FCS 3 (I'm assuming this is what you're gonna use), NVIDIA cards are supported, but not integrated ones. Your mini is this one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.... - it says its using a "NVIDIA GeForce 320M" which shares system memory. Maybe possible with maxed-out RAM 8GB?

My question is this: does "integrated Intel graphics processors" mean the NVIDIA GeForce 320M card on the Mac Mini?

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Loic de Lame
on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:39:24 pm

I'm wondering if that doesn't apply to early mac computers...

~ Loïc

Return to posts index

Chris Replogle
on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:05:03 pm

Thank you so much for your input so far. I would like to correct myself too and say it's the "Mac Mini", the mid 2010 models we are looking at. I was handed a piece of paper that had "mini Mac" and the specs written on it. We are also using FCP 5.1.4 currently (yes I know it's old) but I think that might also be an advantage because I wouldn't think the minimum requirements are as demanding as say FCP 7. Thank you again for your help.

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]