FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copy Mac Pro System Drive to Powerbook G4 System Drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Grauert
Copy Mac Pro System Drive to Powerbook G4 System Drive
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:10:44 pm

Hello,

I recently bought a Powerbook G4 off Craig's List, and it's nice, but there are a few minor issues. The guy left a bunch of junk on it that I don't want and he didn't have the original OS discs that came with the computer.

I thought I could use the Mac OS 10.4 discs that came with my Mac Pro to wipe and refresh the Powerbook, but that didn't work. I get a kernal panic when the computer is in the process of booting from the disc.

So I asked the IT guy at my work to see what he could do. He had the 10.5 install disc on an external hard drive, and we tried to boot from that hard drive to wipe the Powerbook, but that didn't work either. For some reason it wouldn't boot from the drive, whether we tried to reboot from System Preference or holding the Option key during Restart.

So now I'm wondering if I can connect my Powerbook G4 to my Mac Pro like a hard drive, and use SuperDuper to copy my system drive of my Mac Pro to the system drive of the G4. Would that work? I'm not sure if it would since the Mac Pro is Intel and the Powerbook is not. But both the Mac Pro and Powerbook have OS 10.4, and I know Tiger works on both PowerPC and Intel.

OR, if anyone wants to sell me a copy of OS 10.4 or 10.5 that DIDN'T come with a computer and isn't just an upgrade, I'd be into that too.

Thanks!

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Copy Mac Pro System Drive to Powerbook G4 System Drive
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:39:37 pm

The PowerBook G4 uses a PowerPC processor. Your MacPro uses Intel processors. You cannot use the system that runs your MacPro on a G4.

You need to find an older OS disc for the PowerBook G4.

Not sure if they still do it, but you can call 1-800-MYAPPLE and give them the computers serial number, they will send you a replacement disc of the original computers OS for under $20.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:11:13 pm

Nice. I called them and they sold me Leopard. I didn't think they'd sell old operating systems. Wasn't $20 though, but whatever...

Thanks!

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 26, 2010 at 11:42:21 pm

Been awhile since this came up. I guess they were more generous about it closer to when the big PowerPC to Intel switch was made. The last Powerbook G4 was made in 2006.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]