FORUMS: list search recent posts

is it better to convert M2T clips or captue naitive HDV?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Smith
is it better to convert M2T clips or captue naitive HDV?
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:07:43 pm

I am shooting a feature action movie with canon XH A1 at 1920x1080 60i and I am going to have to do special effects, color correction, etc. I really need to know what the best way to edit this is and how to create the optimal work flow. I naively walked into this thinking it would be like the old SD videos I've shot (this is the first time I've done HDV). I recorded on tape and on Firestores, so I have tapes and M2T files. I have read that capturing off the tape using ProRes is better than converting the M2T files. Is that true? When I get ready to capture from tape, there are so many ProRes choices (Pro res, HQ, 8-bit, 10-bit, LT, etc.), I have no idea what to pick. (I picked pro Res and then I saw ProRes 8-bit 1440x1080) I thought ProRes was 8-bit anyway? Just confused... I've read many posts about data rates and stuff, but it's not clear to me. What is my best option for this? What about ClipWrap fro the M2T's - is it worth it?

I am editing using a LaCie 500gb external hd (7200 rpms). I have a macbokpro 2.53 Ghz Intel core 2 duo and am editing on FCP 7.2.0 and OS 10.6.4.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: is it better to convert M2T clips or captue naitive HDV?
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:29:13 pm

All ProRes is 10-bit. My suggestion is to use ProRes rather than HDV. I believe you'll have superior edit performance that way. The various flavors have different data rates. ProRes 422 is probably fine. If you have questions about the various flavors run short tests with each. Pick a demanding sequence with lots of action and camera moves. Checkout ClipWrap as a way to work with m2ts. They have a trial version. Also, checkout Chris Poisson's Cow tutorial on hdv to ProRes.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
Re: is it better to convert M2T clips or captue naitive HDV?
on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:29:33 am

Thanks. So why is there prores 8 bit of it's all 10 bit?

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]