FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Pro Res 422 / Mpeg Streamclip issue when editing with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Evans
Apple Pro Res 422 / Mpeg Streamclip issue when editing with FCP
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:32:27 pm

This is my first post here on Creative Cow, so I hope it's in the relevant forum- let me know if another section is better suited and I'll know for next time!

I edit all my video in Final Cut Pro and convert using MPEG Streamclip.
My problem is related to an issue occuring after video recompression in Streamclip, I'm converting H.264 1080p video files into the Apple ProRes 422 format which I use in FCP globally to avoid unneeded rendering,also keeping the same image size.
However after re compressing the clips it squashes the image and sticks part of the left side onto the right, like its trying to squash the image in twice; aswell as no longer having sound.

How can I get around this happening?
here are images to illustrate my settings and work flow, aswell as the image issue (the image plays like this in Qt aswell as once in the fcp timeline)

My original file playing in QT with info displayed:
screenshot2010-07-26at18.11.22.png

I add my video file to MPEG Streamclip and export to Quicktime->OK:

My Streamclip settings:
screenshot2010-07-26at18.25.22.png I've tried different frame sizes to no avail.

The recompressed clip now playing in QT (as it also appears in FCP) and the videos thumbnail:

As you can see, the image is spliced and tiled slightly within the window.

Any help would be really appreciated, keep trying different ideas and coming up short. thanks in advance! I'm sure someone here can help me!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Apple Pro Res 422 / Mpeg Streamclip issue when editing with FCP
on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:50:09 pm

Never use QT to judge things like this, that should display properly in FCP. 1440x is a "thin" raster and FCP scales it to the true 1920x1080 on playback. Is the the raster your camera records at? It maybe better to covert it to full raster while you are doing the conversion.

Return to posts index

William Evans
on Jul 26, 2010 at 6:12:55 pm

Hey Mark,
thanks for the reply;
the raster the camera shoots at was indeed 1440 x 1080p
(It was a cheap Toshiba I bought while backpacking through Europe which I've since returned- but I'd really like a stab at editing the footage; my general use camera is a 550D so I'm not really used to the video natively shooting at 1440)

As you can see here in FCP:
screenshot2010-07-26at18.59.13.png
The footage displays in FCP fine while in H.264, following recompression however the video issue occurs whatever is used to play it; FCP, QT, VLC aswell as AE. Mpeg Streamclip seems to have actually skewered the video during recompression to ProRes.
I can use "Cropping settings" during recompression to cut the problem area off but then my ratio is completely off (turns into a box as you can imagine)

I've tried picking the full HD raster size during re-compression and the same issue occurs.
Hmm..not sure what I can try next

Return to posts index

Adam Smith
on Jul 26, 2010 at 8:21:46 pm

Have you tried doing the conversion in Compressor?

- - -
Video Photographer / Avid & Final Cut Editor

Return to posts index

William Evans
on Jul 26, 2010 at 10:10:11 pm

I have indeed, forgot to mention that's why I'd resorted to Streamclip (though I generally use M-SC anyway)
The file was causing compressor to crash earlier, might give it another shot now. I tried doing running it through compressor directly in FCP using media manager but it came out the other end with the same codec.

Something strange is going on with these files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]