FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt Clip Within MXF Directory?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 2:43:08 am

I am experiencing a new one here. I am ingesting an MXF directory of files for QT conversion. Using the Log & Transfer function, one particular clip (the last in the group) will play back in the Viewer fine, I can set in and out points, but it will not ingest. It loads into the que, but a red (!) stop sign appears in the "Status" column.

Do I have a corrupt clip, or is there a troubleshooting option?

Thanks.

Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Corrupt Clip Within MXF Directory?
on Jul 24, 2010 at 5:57:48 am

in the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:11:38 am

Hi, Shane. Unfortunately, that did not work. Another idea?

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:50:18 am

not at the moment...

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:57:57 am

Okay, well thanks for giving it a shot. Very odd that I can play it back, but cannot import it. Going to tinker with some other software, maybe Panasonic might have a solution. Their cards and camera.

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2010 at 8:01:42 am

Uninstall Perian or update fxfactory?

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 3:47:49 pm

Thanks, Jeremy. I uninstalled Perian. Did not have fxFactory. No go. Still will not import. Bummer.

Still trying other things.

Thanks,

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2010 at 4:35:01 pm

When you click on the stop sign, what does it say?

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 5:10:54 pm

When I click on the stop sign, it has no response. Right click gives me the option to "Retry" or "Remove". Retry does nothing, Remove deletes the item from the queue.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 5:33:36 pm

UPDATE: I got it working. Not sure how this worked, but basically I opened the MXF directory with P2CMS, ingested the directory so that all clips were viewable, selected the bad clip, and ran another ingest on that single clip. Opened that newly created clip directory with FCP Log & Transfer (with one single clip in it) and WA-LA, it opened and unwrapped to a QT file as normal.

Now I'm not sure how I'm going to store this, but will probably just add the new P2CMS-generated clip directory into the MXF project directory, treat it like just another MXF clip directory, and leave well enough alone!

Thanks guys for your support. You helped me eliminate ideas and forced me to troubleshoot outside the box.

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:17:33 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] "Now I'm not sure how I'm going to store this, but will probably just add the new P2CMS-generated clip directory into the MXF project directory, treat it like just another MXF clip directory, and leave well enough alone!"

That would be the way to do it.

When you opened the clip in P2CMS did it have an X on it?

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:35:53 pm

It did not have an X on it, but after I re created the directory structure for the one clip, the error log that pops up when completed had a comment saying "Icon Clip Missing". Although it is there when I check the directory.

Another note, just to see what would happen, I copied over the original files in each MXF directory (Video, Audio, Clip, etc.) with each newly created file from P2CMS, and it did not work. Got the same error in FCP Log & Transfer.

But, if I Log & Transfer from the new directory structure, it behaves normal.

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:39:35 pm

OK, this brings p a few more questions. did you orginally transfer this media off of the P2 cards?

Also, the correspocding BMP file in the ICON folder of the 'bad' card. Can you open it?

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:53:38 pm

Yes, I did the original transfers from P2 Cards to my Mac drive using a Panasonic P2 Reader (AJ-PCD20).

And yes, I can open the ICON BMP clips, the original one and the new one generated by P2CMS.

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 24, 2010 at 6:54:34 pm

Is that clip spanned?

Return to posts index

Heidi Garcia
on Jul 24, 2010 at 10:59:12 pm

PLEASE HELP FANJOY

I am having the exact same issue you had, only I am using FCP 5, not 6, but the issue is precisely the same. The difference is that EVERY CLIP is doing this. the conversions seem to begin to happen and after a few seconds i get the indication that the clip is "idled" and then the dreaded red exclamation point. when highlighting this insignia it says "no data."

Can you explain in lamen terms what it is you did to get past this?

I tried 3rd party means, I tried unchecking the "advance pulldowns" option, etc.

regards,

Heidi

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 24, 2010 at 11:44:13 pm

Heidi, our issues differ in that my clip was playable in the preview and edit window of Log & Transfer, but it would not initiate a transfer from the MXF clip to a QT file. Also, I have already ingested the P2 cards onto my internal hard drive. I'm not sure if that matters to FCP when converting to QT files, but there are our differences for comparision.

Here is what I did:

1- Open P2CMS

2- In P2CMS, open your MFX Directory (from the P2 Reader or from your hard drive). Click on the "..." button in the "Source" window. It opens your directory browser (Finder or Windows Explorer). Highlight your root contents directory just as you do in FCP Log & Transfer. Click "Open". All your MXF file ICONS should appear now in the right P2CMS window.

3- Choose a sample file to test by highlighting its ICON.

4- Click "Ingest" at the bottom of the left P2CMS window. Confirm ingest.

Note: You should know where your settings are going to send this newly ingested directory of clips so you can access them from FCP (or move them to your directory of choice after ingesting).

5- Your individual clip will output to a new MXF directory structure which looks just like a typical MXF file structure.
Note: After ingesting is complete, P2CMS will generate an "error log" via a pop up window. You may want to pay attention to anything it recognizes as a problem, for further troubleshooting if necessary.

6- Open FCP's Log & Transfer window, locate the newly created directory and see how it behaves.

That routine is for one single clip. I didn't try it, but I presume you simply highlight all the clips and ingest if you want the entire directory to process this way.

For me, simply re ingesting the previously ingested (from P2 cards) clip, somehow "cleaned it up" and Log & Transfer now functions accordingly on that clip.

I had to leave it in its P2CMS-created directory structure but moved it to the main drive where all the other MXF project directories live, and just renamed the root directory "bla bla 2".

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Heidi Garcia
on Jul 25, 2010 at 4:38:07 am

Fanjoy,

Thank you so much for your step-by-step breakdown. I found it very easy to follow, it was clearly a smart move and I really do appreciate it!

However, at this point i feel utterly hopeless. It has not worked for me. I kept in mind that I am using FCP 5, so I do not have a "log and transfer" option. I stuck with the Import > Panasonic P2, and then did the re-ingestion from there. Same issue. I can view and scrub audio just fine in the viewer, i just simply cannot get it on board. I feel as though I've tried everything and I'm stuck.

Is there anything perhaps about my setup settings that I have missed or done incorrectly that has led me to bring this on myself? I shot with a P2 3CCD at 720p/60 fps. I adjusted Easy Setup and Audio/Video Settings in FCP accordingly, making sure all were aligned for HD-DVC Pro 720/60. I mounted my P2, dumped the mxf files onto my hard-drive, and so it goes.

I'm lost.

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jul 25, 2010 at 6:41:26 am

Heidi, unfortunately I'm on your side of the fence in this forum. Hopefully one of "The Gurus" will pick this up and guide you. I just don't know enough to help beyond my isolated problem.

Good luck and hang in there!

Fanjoy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2010 at 2:15:16 pm

Mark-

Another thing for you, did you try renaming the clip? Renaming in FCP, not the actual MXF file.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2010 at 1:59:04 pm

Heidi, what camera did you shoot with?

Have you uninstalled Perian?

Updated fxfactory?

Have you tried naming the clips in the log and transfer window to something shorter?

Also, how is your hard drive formatted?
Please make sure it is MacOS extended.

Return to posts index

Heidi Garcia
on Jul 25, 2010 at 4:12:46 pm

Jeremy, thanks for the response!

I do not have Perian installed on my computer.
I also do not have fxfactory, as the supported Host is FCP 6 and 7, not FCP 5 like I have.

Hard drive IS OS extended.

The equipment is rented. I shot with a P2 3CCD.

I'm still stuck,
still hoping for another good lead!
Thanks,

- Heidi

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2010 at 4:26:13 pm

[Heidi Garcia] "I shot with a P2 3CCD.
"

I need a model number, please.

Return to posts index

Heidi Garcia
on Jul 25, 2010 at 6:20:06 pm

Ah, AG-HVX200, sorry

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:17:30 pm

OK, then it's not the problem that is presented by some HPX500s.

You have downloaded the latest P2 drivers?

You are sure you have unchecked the remove advanced pulldown box?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:03:49 pm

Can you get your files back onto a P2 card? If so, you could try repairing in the camera. There are 3rd party programs like P2 Log that repair P2 clips. I believe it will work with files on a drive. P2 Log has a demo you can try out.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Heidi Garcia
on Jul 27, 2010 at 5:31:55 pm

Thanks to all for assistance, totally appreciate it!
I hope I can figure out soon what this issue is. As for now I have used a different computer with an updated FCP 6 and used log and transfer to convert the files successfully.
Very curious as to why my FCP was not having any.

Thanks to all!
Heidi

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:41:42 pm

I believe FCP5 was the first to work with P2 and had some issues. It's also possible that the newer drivers weren't happy with FCP5. Glad you got your files transferred.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.2, Motion 4.0.2, Comp 3.5.2, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.2)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Joel Berry
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:01:16 am

I have 2 hard drives with footage that was shot on P2 cards. Most of the clips import fine into FCP5, but several won't and the message that FCP gives as a probable cause is "incompatable or corrupt files". Any idea how to get these files to import? I don't have the P2 cards the footage was shot on. Just the hard drives the footage was transferred to.

Thanks for any help.

Joel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 29, 2010 at 12:41:50 pm

Sounds like your file structure is incorrect, Joel.

Return to posts index

Joel Berry
on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:27:13 pm

So is that a matter of going back to the P2 cards and transfer them onto the hard drives again? Also, all of this footage has been dumped onto hard drives that the client has also. So should I try to import from those drives? Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]