FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Cutting a TIFF Sequence from 50FPS to 25FPS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sackey
Frame Cutting a TIFF Sequence from 50FPS to 25FPS
on Jul 23, 2010 at 10:58:59 am

Hi all

I've just sat down to offline an ad only to find that all of the footage from the slo-mo stunt day was shot on the Photron BC2, including the footage that is supposed to be 25FPS. The Fastcam only goes as slow as 50FPS.

Does anyone know of a fast way to frame cut the sequences, maybe in finder with automator? Basically I can't make movies to work with in FCP as the online housel needs EDLs that refer to the TIFFs and since 1 shot alone has over 7000 frames it's just not possible to do it manually.

Any help is gratefully received.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Frame Cutting a TIFF Sequence from 50FPS to 25FPS
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:56:50 pm

So all the footage is overcranked, whether it was supposed to be or not?

You could open the image sequence in Quicktime Pro at 50 fps, and export it as a new TIFF sequence at 25 fps.

That said, simply using every other frame might not look right -- the effective shutter speed might be too fast, giving the footage a very staccato feel. I'd probably bring this into After Effects and render out a new TIFF sequence at the proper frame rate. This will give you the option of blending frames for smoother output.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:04:42 pm

Are they TIFFs from the camera, or do you have DPX/Cineon?

Return to posts index

John Sackey
on Jul 25, 2010 at 11:15:07 am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've just decided to go with prores QTs then back track to the TIFFs before making EDLs for the post house. This way once I've got a locked cut it'll be case of frame cutting around 100 frames manually rather than the 7000 odd that make up one take.

Walter:
The footage was shot with frame cutting in mind so the shutter angle is fine, also since it's the offline making a decision on frame blending etc isn't really mine to make. Especially as I know the post house and how they'd react to me doing anything other than giving them the debayed TIFFs.

Jeremy:
Not sure what difference being Cineon or DPX makes too trying to frame cut.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

John

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 25, 2010 at 2:02:06 pm

Because you could use Glue Tools that would simplify your process and allow yountp do things like over ride the frame rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]