FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color correction appears different in exported clip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Mulvaney
Color correction appears different in exported clip
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:53:25 am

I exported a file that had clips in which I used CC 3-way. The clips in which I used heavy saturation and/or used rich hues/changed the levels on the black/mids/whites came out looking much different from how they looked in the viewer/canvas when I exported as QT using QuickTime conversion (H 2.64). Mainly, those particular clips appeared darker and less vibrant -- even when I check the FCP compatibility box in QT player.

Does anyone know why this is and what I can do so that the exported file looks exactly as I see it in my viewer/canvas?

FYI, the file is solely intended for web publishing.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color correction appears different in exported clip
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:56:34 pm

The FCP canvas and the QT viewer will always differ. The canvas wasn't designed to show you true colors...not what QT sees or a TV. It is there for you to see what you are doing. Not for color critical work.

But that does make it difficult to color correct for the web....I hear ya loud and clear. What to do? Wish I knew.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:28:46 pm

I know this sounds a bit laborious, but I might dare to try guess and check, tweaking those particular clips and exporting a portion of them each time until I see the balance I like. *Sigh* This should be fun...

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 24, 2010 at 1:19:05 pm

I find that what I see on my external monitors translates pretty much spot on to what I will see in QT Player and on the web. As Shane notes, the Viewer and Canvas are degraded because FCP is designed to have a professionally calibrated television monitor attached to the system.

We use the AJA Kona 3 board feeding Flander Scientific color reference monitors here. When we color correct we use those monitors as our guide and what we see on those screens will pretty much replicate what we see in QT Player and on the web.

If all you are going to be doing is internet based video work, you'll need a way to set up a high quality computer display, like the HP Dreamcolor that so many folks on here talk about, and feed it a proper video signal. You can look at AJA, BMD and Matrox for something to feed that monitor. This way you will get out of the Canvas and looking at a more proper signal for color grading. Then what you see should be pretty much what you get when you export it out.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]