FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Machine, FCP and Scratch Disk

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Crowley
Time Machine, FCP and Scratch Disk
on Jul 23, 2010 at 1:49:01 am

Hi!

I am backing up a large number of D videos using TIME MACHINE and my 2tb Lacie Drive. I am very careful to set the scratch disk correctly each time I start a project. I also check it often to be sure it is right.

I restored the folder today to see if worked ok. The answer is yes. BUT here is what happens:

1. Restore Folders
2. Open in FCP and test video-GOOD.
3. Open System Settings to check Scratch Disc-NOT GOOD. It defaults to some other folder, not the correct one.
4. Open my project folder to see if the correct video files are in the Scratch folder. Indeed they are. Hence the reason the projects play perfectly.

Question: Should I worry about this? Why doesn't FCP recognize the REAL scratch disk folder? It plays it correctly but just doesn't default to it.

Finally, is it ok to just let that go and continue my process.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Grant Strac
Re: Time Machine, FCP and Scratch Disk
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:11:41 am

This is happening because Time Machine drive has a os on it that organizes the information on it and makes it able to be accessed from other computers on the network. The time machine is not a networked hard drive in the sense you are thinking you can. I am not totally positive but I really do not think you can solve this issue because in order to get into the hard drive you need the interface to interact with it on the network so even if you used disk utility to reformat it to mac ox journal so that it was basically a networked hard drive the machine has no interface to long into it. Unfortunately you can not use that as a capture storage, it can only be a "deep storage" drive as in you'll put a folder on your machine that time machine will back up and that folder would have broll footage you want to archive or finished quicktime masters on it. Capture would not be possible or I should say reliable over a home network hard drive because of the strain you would put on the network (even if wired and gigabit) because final cut need massive gpu ram to render the image that you are capturing and one minute several gigbytes that you are sending wirelessly over network to the drive. Hope this helps

Grant Strac
Final Cut Trainer Certified

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Crowley
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:58:24 am

HI!

Thanks so much for the post. I think I am confused...the machine is not on a network. I am simply restoring some FCP files that I needed to get rid of to clear space. When I restore, the videos run fine but when I check the scratch disc in System Settings, it is reading some OTHER folder.

When I check the actual project folder, everything is in it's place.

For some reason FCP doesn't "remember" that I had set the scratch up correctly. It certainly knows it somehow because the files work but if I was to work on the project again, I would need to reset the scratch disc.

I am new to this and investing a great deal in the vids, deleting them today was hard but recovering them from time machine was bitter sweet.

Hoping for some sage advice.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:41:46 pm

[Jeremiah Crowley] "Thanks so much for the post. I think I am confused...the machine is not on a network."

I think that Grant was referring to Time Capsule, which is Apple's networked Time Machine backup system.

[Jeremiah Crowley] "When I check the actual project folder, everything is in it's place. For some reason FCP doesn't "remember" that I had set the scratch up correctly. It certainly knows it somehow because the files work but if I was to work on the project again, I would need to reset the scratch disc."

As I mentioned in my other post, scratch disk is not a project-level preference.

I think that you might be misunderstanding a nuance of the scratch disk settings: it determines where new files (both captured and rendered) will be written. Once the file is written to disk (in whatever folder the scratch disk points to), Final Cut will remember its location, independently of the scratch disk setting.

Changing the scratch disk does not affect FCP's ability to locate existing files; it remembers the entire path for them. It only affects where new files will be written to disk.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:50:13 pm

[Jeremiah Crowley] "I am very careful to set the scratch disk correctly each time I start a project.... Open System Settings to check Scratch Disc-NOT GOOD. It defaults to some other folder, not the correct one.... Question: Should I worry about this? Why doesn't FCP recognize the REAL scratch disk folder? It plays it correctly but just doesn't default to it. "

Scratch disk is a system setting in FCP, not a project setting. In other words, the scratch disk location is not saved in your project file, and it will not automatically change when you switch from one project to another; it's completely independent.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Crowley
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:07:25 pm

Perfect!

Thank so much for taking the time to answer this! Love this forum, in fact, not sure what I would do without it.

I understand and will move forward.

Thanks again for the wisdom :)

JC

Return to posts index

Gianpaolo Rampini
on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:06:52 pm

I have the opposite problem... how can I fix scratch disk for a project?
Everytime, if I open a project, I'll find that the scratch disk and all the system setting (video, audio, rendering, auto save vault.....) are located as the last project I was using... many times it create me a problem to remember how it was organised . There are some solutions for that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]