FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey, Walter - what are your thoughts on the new Colorista II?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Marx
Hey, Walter - what are your thoughts on the new Colorista II?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:30:28 pm

Curious to hear your thoughts.

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-colorista-II/
Overview video:
http://prolost.com/blog/2010/7/22/getting-started-with-colorista-ii.html

Cheers,

Wayne

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Hey, Walter - what are your thoughts on the new Colorista II?
on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:39:01 pm

It's really REALLY good. The only issue is not complete realtime updates in the Canvas and the External monitor. You either have to hold your mouse down or release the mouse to see your updates on the screen. I'm doing some research on this and at the moment it appears to be an more of any issue with Apple and FCP than Colorista II. I'm still looking into this and hope to have more information on this soon.

So for me, that's a bit of an issue as I need to see absolute realtime updates on my external screens. But it does give you a real Primary, Secondary and Keyer all in one filter in FCP and that's pretty darn cool, especially if you don't want to drop out into Color. They keyer is stupid easy and it does have the familiar auto balance white / black tools. It's very clean and Red Giant has really done a great job essentially re-creating this tool.

Does it replace Color? Nope, but then a single filter will never replace a dedicated application. That's like saying "does this filter replace After Effects?"

Is it the best color enhancement tool for FCP? It's the best one I've seen, no doubt.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jul 23, 2010 at 11:48:37 am

Thanks, Walter,

Good points. Personally, the features I'm most excited about are the HSL adjustments and "pop".
I'm not working with Color yet, so this seems like it could get someone like me quite far on its own.

Thanks for your valuable perspective.

All the best,

Wayne

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:09:51 pm

[Wayne Marx] "Good points. Personally, the features I'm most excited about are the HSL adjustments and "pop".
I'm not working with Color yet, so this seems like it could get someone like me quite far on its own."

Yeah, that's basically where I see Colorista II right now. If you are set against working in Color and want FCP to do everything for you and you have $300 to spend, then this is definitely the plug-in you want.

What does make me laugh though is the marketing line about how this "puts the power of a DaVinci on your desktop."

One - Final Touch / Color did that years ago and Color really DOES put the power of a DaVinci on your desktop.

Two - DaVinci IS coming to your desktop. :-)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 23, 2010 at 1:09:28 pm

Wayne,

Here's a few images of me playing in Colorista II. Here I'm using the Primary, Secondary with the Power Mask and the RGB Curves to take the original shot of a child in a hospital and making it much more depressing and ominous. This is a very poor hospital in Kenya and he's in the malaria ward so it's a pretty tough story.

If I was in Color I would apply more of a blur to the mother's dress and would be into a second secondary to adjust the child's face more, might throw some Nattress Noise Reduction on there, but overall this is me spending about 3 minutes making quick adjustments to this shot using one instance of Colorista II. On the FSI external screen I'm seeing more contrast than these JPEGs but you get the general idea.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:02:34 pm

Nice work, Walter!

It never ceases to amaze me how much impact a good grade can have on an image.

And we are really lucky, I guess, to have the plethora of affordable tools available to us these days.
I remember back in the 'old day' having to futz with the chroma & luma levels directly on the Beta SP deck in our AB roll edit suite to get more of a 'punchy' look, or just to brighten it up.
My, my, we sure have come far....;)

Wayne

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:54:29 pm

[Wayne Marx] "I remember back in the 'old day' having to futz with the chroma & luma levels directly on the Beta SP deck"

You got to play with modern equipment. My first experience was adjusting tracking and chroma on a JVC "Professional" 3/4" deck that was about the size of the desk my laptop is sitting on right now.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:05:29 pm

I just spent a half hour or so with it. It's much better than the old version. I agree with Walter that it certainly can't replace Color, but it's a great way to CC in FCP. It renders quickly, and has a good range of ways to adjust your image.

That being said, I have a couple of beefs - and again, I only spent about a half hour playing around with it:

I had trouble trying to use multiple instances of it. To try to use 2 secondaries, for example. Multiple instances (even with bypass primary turned on) create some funky additive adjustments.

I'd like to be able to re-set only certain settings, instead of the whole filter. Undo works better now, but it doesn't seem to affect the HSL wheels, and its time consuming to try to undo back to where you were before.

Lastly, it seemed noisier than Color. Have you noticed that Walter? I did the CC'ing on my laptop, with no scopes other than the FCP internal ones, and once I brought it into the broadcast system, I think my gain was too high, so the noise may have been a function of too much exposure.

My two cents. Overall, a vast improvement over the last version, and a great CC'er for FCP.

D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 Quicktime 7.6.4
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.4

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:38:29 pm

[Dan Monro] "Lastly, it seemed noisier than Color. Have you noticed that Walter?"

Nope, did not appear to add any more noise to the signal. If you boost your mids you will bring out a lot of noise that is already in your signal. Same with raising the blacks up.

It is a very clean and very well done filter. Yes, I do agree there needs to be a few more parameters that can be reset other than the entire filter, but that might be a function of how filters operate in FCP. Remember the plug-ins are always at the mercy of the host. I can't recall any other plug in that has multiple parameter "resets," just the master reset.

That's part of what's going on with the slow updates at the moment, something not updating quick enough in FCP to make it update in realtime.

I have not tried multiple instances of the plug-in though. I would suspect that you have to tread VERY lightly when you use a second instance of that for another secondary. What you might consider is using Colorista I for the second secondary. Not sure.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Greg Leslie
on Jul 27, 2010 at 4:25:57 am

FYI -- double-clicking on any color wheel will reset ONLY that wheel. No need to reset the entire filter.

I'm really enjoying Colorista II and the freedom to experiment with serious corrections and grading without locking picture and leaving the editing app.

Greg Leslie
Effects Editing & Voice
Tulsa, OK

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Aug 1, 2010 at 2:21:39 pm

Thanks Greg. Jack Tunnicliffe told me the same thing over on the IMUG. I had no idea it was that simple. A RTFM moment perhaps, but I'll pass it along to my co-workers. I'm looking forward to a little more hands on with it.

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.5.8
GeForce 8600M GT Final Cut Pro 7.0 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved