FORUMS: list search recent posts

64-Bit Final Cut?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
64-Bit Final Cut?
on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:15:46 pm

Any "hint" of upgrading the suite of FCP Studio apps to 64-bit? I know this involves "millions of
lines of code across numerous apps. Apple has always kept a "tight lid"
on their R&D. A co-editor- while looking at his next year's budget for some more macs and FCP, his "reseller/installer company tried to turn him to ADOBE PREMIERE and all Adobe due to their 64-bit apps and ability to address virtually unlimited "ram". My friend-editing in HD is now having "out of memory"
issues when trying to render his 30-minute HD show on the timeline. Had to split it up into sub-
sequences. This "reseller-installer" told him it was due to Final Cut's 32-bit app and inability to
process more like 64-bit apps. With up to 70% or maybe more (seems like it) saturation of Apple
and FCP across the ENTIRE WORLD, editors I know, don't want to give up on Final Cut!.
Anyone hear anything?
Thanks

D's Video

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: 64-Bit Final Cut?
on Jul 20, 2010 at 2:38:41 pm

I haven't heard anything official, because (as you say) of Apple's tight lid; but I would say that everyone expected Apple to change it to 64bit in their last release. Being the kind of company who NORMALLY respond to the wants and needs of their consumers, I would expect their next big release to be 64 bit. The other thing is, has anyone noticed how long it's taken for them to upgrade from 7.0.2...? I don't know code that well, is it possible they could write this into and update? Or would it have to be a full reinstall?....Although I suppose they could make an update do that as well.... either way I eagerly await! And if their next one is just 'Fixed certain bugs' then I will be pissed...

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Production Assistant, Grace Productions
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:06:14 pm

For what it's worth, your issue is probably not related to having enough RAM.
There are a few issues in FCP that erroneously throw up that error message.
Are you using any Photoshop graphics, by any chance?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:16:54 pm

[David Cooke] "Any "hint" of upgrading the suite of FCP Studio apps to 64-bit?"

Apple is notorious for not dropping hints. Never trust any pre-release "insider" info on Apple apps. Those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know, if you take my meaning.

[David Cooke] "...his "reseller/installer company tried to turn him to ADOBE PREMIERE and all Adobe due to their 64-bit apps and ability to address virtually unlimited "ram"."

...and his reseller/installer stands to make a good deal of coin off such a thing. Keep that in mind. Hey, I really LIKE Adobe stuff, but that tactic just ain't right.

[David Cooke] "My friend-editing in HD is now having "out of memory"
issues when trying to render his 30-minute HD show on the timeline."

It could be due to a lot of things. It's time to troubleshoot rather than panic.

[David Cooke] "This "reseller-installer" told him it was due to Final Cut's 32-bit app and inability to process more like 64-bit apps."

Wow! This reseller must have one heck of a profit margin built into Adobe apps and NVidia cards to tell such a half-truth. Furthermore, doing such a thing engenders mistrust in your buddy in the future.

Eventually, Apple's going to need a 64-bit pro video apps bundle. Adobe beat 'em to it, but Adobe made the decision to go 64-bit a long time ago... and you never know about the Inscrutable Lads & Ladies In Cupertino.

I would say to your pal, "Stick with FCP. Troubleshoot your current woes, and get 'em solved. Get Adobe CS5 if it makes sense for your workflow, or you need one of the apps. If you abandon FCP and go all Adobe, you're just throwing the baby out with the bathwater."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Jul 20, 2010 at 4:02:52 pm

I've rendered plenty of HD shows without a hiccup. when there have been hiccups it's usually with an errant file, usually a graphic or a scanned photo, sometimes with ill prepared audio, sample rate or filetype.
trouble shooting can be difficult. often the trouble doesn't get shot, the person doing the troubleshooting does.
select a range of elements in the timeline and render selection. eventually you'll narrow down the offending item, take steps to prep it correctly and move forward.
I wish FCP was 64bit, I wish I could paint live in FCP I wish there was field rendering.
Someone is attempting to sell a bill of goods. The adobe suite is excellent for a lot of reasons but video editing and bluray burning could take a lesson from apple re ease of use and intuitive action.
then again if it's an HDV project rendering in HDV I couldn't tell you. I transcode on injest or bounce to HDCam tape before injest for that stuff

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jul 20, 2010 at 7:00:59 pm

>his "reseller/installer company tried to turn him to ADOBE PREMIERE and all Adobe due to their 64-bit apps and ability to address virtually unlimited "ram".
> This "reseller-installer" told him it was due to Final Cut's 32-bit app and inability to process more like 64-bit apps.

LOL!!

Motorist: Hello? Can you help me? My Ford Focus won't start.
Dodge Dealer: Yes, 6-cylinders always do that. You need to buy a new Dodge Viper with a 10-cylinder engine.

Pretty much the same conversation.

Return to posts index

Kristin Leys
on Jul 20, 2010 at 9:20:07 pm

Final Cut goes 64 bit after Quicktime is given a complete overhaul.

Quicktime needs to be modernised, rewritten, replumbed, etc.

Quicktime X was the first part of that project.

Once that foundation is in place, possibly in 10.7 then Apple can release a 64bit Final Cut Pro.

Otherwise they could take the 'Smoke' route and write a dynamic 32-64bit translation engine. But that seems very un-apple.

Apple know it needs to happen, and the software engineers involved would love to be moving faster. But it's a bloody big job.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
Re: 64-Bit Final Cut Thanks for replies
on Jul 21, 2010 at 2:03:08 pm

Thanks everyone. I have counseled my FCP co-editor friend based on your responses, plus will help us plan for the future in our production house.

D's Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]