FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray Headache

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jimmy joe roche
Blu-ray Headache
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:41:00 pm

Hey guys,
So I've been reading a lot on this forum and on the compression Forum trying to figure out a sturdy work flow for the Blu-ray hardware and software I have. Here at my lab we have a Lacie D-2 blu-ray burner -- new mac pro towers and have just purchased FCP 7 suite.
So I have four questions -

What is the best way to burn a blu-ray disks using these mentioned hardware and software ?

How can I make a looping blu-ray for a galley exhibition that simply plays the video over and over? ( I know that there is a looping button but this seems like a bit of a catch-22 or do you simply have to press it once)

For short videos - say under 15 min what are the best bit rate settinsg for Blu-ray out of FCP and Compressor?

and finally how should I decide what Bul-ray disks to sell in our lab?

thanks much
best
jjr

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: Blu-ray Headache
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:15:45 pm

I've found the easiest software to do just this sort of thing to be Roxio's Toast. Its worked very well for us.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:39:17 am

Why not just straight out from Final Cut 7 (through that Share menu)... or is it broken?

Mio

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 20, 2010 at 1:10:46 pm

You could, if you have a lot of time. It works but it may take many hours to encode before going to disc. The Share menu is a wonderful idea that has gone wrong. It way too slow to be of any use to most of us.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Miodrag Ristic
on Jul 20, 2010 at 3:16:37 pm

I was afraid it might be something like that.
When I saw that Share menu, it looked like iMovie / iDVD combination.

And it obviously behaves like iMovie, the first few versions were just like that, working,
but painfully slow.

Well at least it works... :(

So, the recommended workflow is FCP > Compressor > Toast ?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:17:58 pm

Yes, I agree. Get Toast 10 with the BR plugin and you are good to go.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:25:35 pm

If all you need is a very simple BluRay disc, such as Play Only or looping BluRay disc, we use Adobe Encore. We use Compressor to make the MPEG-2 / AC3 Files.

If you need a BluRay disc with a full featured Menu, we use NetBlender's DoStudio which is only available on Windows. We use Apple's Compressor to create the MPEG-2 files and then author the disc on DoStudio.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jesus Ali
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:06:04 pm

I agree with the other responses.

Get a copy of Roxio Toast 9, 10 or higher and the Roxio Blu-Ray Plug-in.
(I believe that the Blu-Ray Consortium requires an extra charge for Blu-Ray authoring {reason Apple hasn't built it in like many thought they would}, so Roxio adds it as a separate purchase so they don't have to pay Blu-Ray consortium for every sale of Toast, just the plugin upgrade).

In Final Cut, work in ProRes422. It makes things easier in HD. Look here on the Cow and on Google, there are custom Workflows you can setup to Capture HDV tape DIRECTLY into ProRes footage to edit in a ProRes Timeline. This is the way to get great color and effects results. ProResHQ is 10-bit, 1024 shades of gray in each RGB channel instead of 256 in 8-bit. This makes HD green screen work really great because there is literally 4-times as much data!

Capture, Edit, and then even Export into ProRes. You can then take that ProRes file and drag it to Toast and Toast will convert it into a H.264 perfect for Blu-Ray.

Also, a thing about Toast, it can burn HD video for playback onto the same 4.7GB DVD-R's you've been using for years. The ISO name for a 4.7GB disc is DVD-5, 9GB Dual Layer is DVD-9. The fancy trick I'm taking about is called BD-5. Blu-Ray on a DVD-5.

You know how a TV DVD looks when you put it in a computer? VIDEO-TS and AUDIO-TS folder, ect. That's the STRUCTURE. Blu-Ray discs also have a specific structure that the players are expecting. But the STRUCTURE and the MEDIA are not inextricably tied together. This is why we can play disc images of DVD's or just play VIDEO-TS folders.

Toast 9 and UP makes it super easy to do this, just choose to create a Blu-Ray Disc, then where it asks what size disc, say DVD-R, not BD-R. Boom. Done.

You only get 30-45 minutes of optimal quality, (which is 40mbp/s max, btw) but I think Toast may even be able to scale down quality to give you more time on a standard disc.

I've successfully played BD-5 discs (museum repeaters, actually) in a Sony PS3, and Sony BD-350 and a Samsung model I don't remember.
At first, the Samsung would not play the BD-5, but would play a Sony 25GB BD-R burned from Toast on a early (2nd generation? 2x) Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner. But then 6 months later I connected connected the Samsung to the internet through the ethernet jack and it checked for a Firmware update. It found one, downloaded and installed it, and THEN it was actually able to play the same BD-5 I tried earlier.

So if you test a BD-5 on a Blu-Ray player, always look for a Firmware Update first. It will likely improve or enable BD-5 playback.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jul 20, 2010 at 5:23:32 pm

I recommend the Compress HD card from Matrox. Episode Pro is also something you should get.

Blu-Ray burning could not be any easier.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]