FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not enough Space on 1TB Drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dannunzio
Not enough Space on 1TB Drive?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:46:56 pm

Hello,

this may be a quick fix. We hooked up a 1TB external drive to our Mac Pro. After FCP captures about 2GB of footage, it aborts and says there is not enough disc space on the 1TB external drive! I tried looking in FCP settings and I adjusted the Minimum Allowable Free SPace on Scratch Disc option but it doesn't work! Am I missing something?

Greatly appreciated

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Not enough Space on 1TB Drive?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:54:11 pm

How was the drive initially formated? And are you positive you're actually capturing to it and not to another drive?

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:08:45 pm

Fat32 has a 2GB file limitation. That could be your problem. Your drive needs to be formatted Mac os extended (not journaled)
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:47:36 pm

Why not journaled? I've always been curious about that option.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:02:13 pm

[Jason Brown] "Why not journaled? I've always been curious about that option."

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2355

I always journal.

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:08:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "
I always journal."

I was still under the impression that media drives should not be journaled.
-mattyc

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:21:03 pm

I have always journaled. I would rather have data integrity than more performance. And the performance hit is very very negligible. Power outages and other mishaps can happen at any time. I'd rather my data be there when the computer restarts. Journaling helps to alleviate problems from corruption and most RAIDs that I have run have specifically said to leave journaling on.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:08:26 pm

My 2 cents.
I'm with Jeremy on this, and have my media drives journaled, contrary to the more popular opinion that they should not be.
It might be more of a factor depending on your system, and drives. But I have tried it both ways, and on native HDV, or ProRes, which is the majority of material I'm cutting on, I didn't see a performance advantage in non-journaled to justify the risk.

Scott Sheriff
Director
SST Digital Media
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Jul 20, 2010 at 12:35:50 pm

In addition to the "Minimum Allowable Free SPace on Scratch Disc", in the FCP User Prefs, there is a section where you can set a limit to the size/time of newly captured clips. Double check this.

In the It is my understanding that Journaling kind of "keeps notes" on which files are being written and at what time and where they're being written.

This becomes more important the more layers there are between the processor and the disk volume. i.e. in RAIDs.

In a RAID, it could be very common for the CPU to lose power at a different moment than the 28 disks in 4 7-disk RAID volumes. Or for one RAID controller to lose power at different point than the CPU, which maybe never crashed. Or perhaps, one of the disks fails or is pulled out by a newbie, and this triggers a freeze, which triggers a crash.

Journaling, has been keeping track on each disk, of what file was being written at which time. Once the CPU is back up it can read this info and theoretically benefit by integrating usable remaining chunks of data and knowing exactly where things left off.

I have always understood that this was beneficial on the BOOT DISKS of a Macintosh, especially if you are hardware or software RAIDing a Mirror for the Server Boot disk, and that it's primary benefit was that fewer cache files would have to be thrown away and rebuilt, so you would avoid a lengthy reboot blue screen while the Mac fixed itself.

I have felt that Journaling was less important on Scratch Disks, or even work disks, because if you copied a file to that disk and it didn't work, you could just copy it again. If you crashed during a render you probably wouldn't use that file anyway.

So my opinion is yes for Boot Disks and RAIDs (because so much can go wrong in a RAID, you're better to have all the help you can get to recover), Couldn't Hurt for Archive Disks, but probably not needed on singular Work, Scratch and Export disks (a LaCie Big Disk is actually a 2 disk RAID 0 Volume, so yes to Journaling).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]