FORUMS: list search recent posts

film look with fcp?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sudbury
film look with fcp?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 5:28:37 am

Not sure if anyone on here has worked with 16mm film but I love a slightly soft and grainy look.
Don't get me wrong, some of the 16mm film stock is pretty sharp under the right lighting conditions but for the most part 16mm had a certain look which could vary from awful to beautiful depending on all sorts of variables.

I now want to shoot some video and would like to give it a half decent film look if possible and I am open minded.
Several years ago Magic Bullet had come out and it looked like it had a little potential and there was some other software making attempts to give video a film look but I have not kept up with it for a while I am wondering if anything has come out in the last few years that is worth checking into?
I will be shooting with a Sony ex1 and editing with fcp.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: film look with fcp?
on Jul 19, 2010 at 6:12:45 am

http://www.nattress.com - FILM EFFECTS Magic Bullet still has MB Editors, but that is mainly color correction looks. YOu can get that with the 3-way and COLOR too. There is a film grain part of MB Editors though...if I recall.

A good lens...nothing beats a good lens. And the Canon DSLRs have been giving GREAT film looks because of the lens. The only thing plugins will add are grain and film cadence. They won't get that shallow depth of field of film.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:51:42 am

Yes, Shane is right - Software-wise you will find a lot of third party plug-ins, like Nattress, Magic Bullet, which will ad grain, and do some CC, which will let it look more like 16mm.
But the main thing for film look is the lens, so either one of the DSLR cameras, or if you use the EX1 and you have still budget - get a lens adapter and a good film lens with it.
If there's no budget for that, try to milk the depth of field of the onboard lens of the EX1, meaning, get away as far as possbile from your subject, Zoom In - so you get the Max of Depth of field.
In the worst case, you can ad Depth of field in the post in AE - check here the terrific tutorials of Andrew Kramer on http://www.videocopilot.net.

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:59:05 pm

I think you meant *shortest* depth of field there, Sascha. Zooming in from a distance makes the range of the shot that is in focus shorter, softening the background. Adding neutral density filtration and thus allowing the iris to open wider will enhance that, as well as just shooting from a distance.

Depth of field and depth of focus are terms used interchanegably in many casual conversations, but they may not mean exactly the same thing. I know what you meant, I'm just feeling pedantic today.:-)

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:03:48 pm

Yup, you are right - language knot, sorry!
It's ok, I am German - I can live with you being pedantic ;-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]