FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with multi-stream HD on a current gen 15" MBP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Weinberg
Working with multi-stream HD on a current gen 15" MBP
on Jul 17, 2010 at 6:17:14 pm

I just switched over from a MacPro to a 15" MacBookPro Core i7 (no eSata port) and am starting to wonder what the best data management solution is for working with my multi-stream HD content. I am constantly working in large projects made up of multi-stream 720P footage, either in ProRes or DVCPRO HD.

I'm aware that the fastest external option available is a FW800 RAID drive, but I am wondering how this compares to the MBPs internal 7200RPM 500GB drive. I know it is a bit of a faux-pa to access media from your system drive, but I also know that it is often done. I'm confused which would technically be faster as FW800 is obviously a slower interface than SATA yet a RAID is obviously faster than a standalone drive..?

Anyone care to explain / have any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with multi-stream HD on a current gen 15" MBP
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:12:24 pm

[Adam Weinberg] "I just switched over from a MacPro to a 15" MacBookPro Core i7 (no eSata port) and am starting to wonder what the best data management solution is for working with my multi-stream HD cont"

Get an Express34 eSATA adapter. Fry's has them...lots of places. Then you can connect drives via eSATA, even an eSATA RAID.

Avoid the system drive...might work for ONE stream of DV, HDV or DVCPRO HD...might work for a few seconds with ProRes. But it won't do multiple streams...period.

You need a raid for multiple streams of HD. FW800 RAID might work for somethings (G-Raid, Caldigit VR), but not over FW800. Get those on eSATA, and they both do up to about 220MB/s...That's fast. And you have the capability of eSATA with an adapter...just like you do with a Tower.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Allen
on Jul 17, 2010 at 8:12:20 pm

What about us poor saps who got a MacBook Pro after they removed the express slot. I now have this awesome little SD card slot instead. :-P

For the record, I edit on my system drive all the time. Often cutting 3 camera 1080p (usually ProRes or XDCAM) multiclips and I don't have any issues. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by multiple streams, but I don't seam to have this issue with my system drive. I dump what I need on my drive for that project, then archive to an external drive when I'm done. I do have a 7200RPM internal drive, and 8GB of RAM. Maybe that's the key?

-
The Real Tim Allen
Tribal Iris | HD Production & Finishing

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Jul 17, 2010 at 9:46:25 pm

again with the mixed feedback!

again, i have a new 15" MBP *WITHOUT* an eSata port. i only have FW800 to work with. i would rather not work with media on the internal system drive as it's pretty well established that that will over time run your drive into the ground, but as i am working with multi-stream 720P HD i'm wondering what my options are.

i'm so extremely confused by the bandwidth specs of these interfaces. FW800 theoretically supports 800Mbps. 1 stream of DVCPRO HD is about 40 to 50 Mbps @ 24P. assuming this is accurate (i have referenced multiple documents) how is the bandwidth not there?

obviously i am missing something as FW400 i would think should theoretically support 2 streams of 40 to 50Mbps data. this makes me think the limiting factor is the SATA drive speed, which you would think would be a non-issue if you're running a RAID.

that all said, now why is it that a FW800 RAID will not be fast enough to support 2 streams of DVCPRO HD?

Return to posts index

Tim Allen
on Jul 18, 2010 at 12:37:29 am

I've use FW800 drives (nonRAID) all the time to edit ProRes and XDCAM HD footage at 1080p. You should be totally fine editing 720p footage off that setup.

I just opened up three XDCAM EX 1080p files and played them simultaneously off a FireWire800 drive. You're good.

-
The Real Tim Allen

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Jul 18, 2010 at 2:09:37 am

well that sounds reassuring, thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 18, 2010 at 5:52:25 am

THose who bought the 15" MacBook Pro with the SD slot, who are video editing professionals, pretty much shot themselves in the foot. While it is fine for editing, and an FW800 drive is fine for MANY reasons, they limit themselves to FW capturing, outputting, and tapeless formats. That's pretty good, but also limited hard drive types. no eSATA...

[Adam Weinberg] "FW800 theoretically supports 800Mbps. 1 stream of DVCPRO HD is about 40 to 50 Mbps @ 24P. assuming this is accurate"

720p 24 is more like 13-20 mbps. Not sure how the math works out. Anyway, DVCPRO HD on a FW800 raided drive, yeah, 4-6 streams...easy. PRORES is the one that will only get about 2-3.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Adam Weinberg
on Jul 18, 2010 at 6:13:13 am

re: shooting yourself in the foot, you're being presumptuous. i am personally using this as an intermediary computer until the next gen of MacPros is released in the next few months, and until then, being able to edit 2 streams of 720P DVCPRO HD is all i need.

Return to posts index

Tim Allen
on Jul 18, 2010 at 9:38:53 am

I do wish I had a Express slot, but it really hasn't hurt me that much. I haven't shot on tape in probably 2 years, and I often receive SD cards from some Panasonic cameras so the SD slot has actually come in handy. But you are correct that the Express slot is pretty sweat. More of a bonus than a need (for me anyways.)

-
The Real Tim Allen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]