FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd to final cut pro lossless codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hey Chong
dvd to final cut pro lossless codec
on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:39:09 pm

Hi, I am trying to rip a dvd into a format that I can use in Final Cut Pro. However, I need it to be great quality as it is going to be shown on a movie theater screen.(It is the trailer for a film festival that will be shown before each film).

So, I think dvd's are mpeg-2. Do I just convert the .vob files to an mpeg-2 using a lossless codec like animation or prores?

Can I import an mpeg-2 file into final cut? What software will even let me convert the .vob files to mpeg-2 using lossless codec?

I would appreciate any advice. Another thing is that the dvd's are region 3, but I don't think that should matter so much.

Thanks alot!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: dvd to final cut pro lossless codec
on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:07:06 am

mpeg2 from a DVD can't be edited in FCP natively. I would convert to either Uncompressed 10 bit if your drives are fast enough or ProRes 422.

Animation codec is not an edit codec and you will have to render it to uncompressed or ProRes which is a further transcoding and waste of time.

There are lots of programs to rip DVDs. Search this forum as there have been many posts asking that question. Personally I don't know what is best as I have not had to rip a DVD. I also find it peculiar that something that is destined to be screen on a theatre screen would be supplied on a DVD.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:25:36 am

[Michael Gissing] "I also find it peculiar that something that is destined to be screen on a theatre screen would be supplied on a DVD."

I agree. The damage is irreversibly been done. Any chance you can get a tape master of the trailer?

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:40:30 am

I'm positive that I can't get the master tape. I will do some research on a program that can convert a .vob to ProRes422. Please let me know if you think this isn't possible and whether I may have to convert the .vob to something else first. I imagine that would compromise quality quite a bit.

Sigh.

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Jul 17, 2010 at 2:35:12 am

Mpeg streamclip will turn it into prores file for you.

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

René Jensen
on Jul 17, 2010 at 8:37:12 am

No need to transcode into ProRes.
Just choose \"Unscaled M2V\" in MPEG Streamclip, and it works just fine in FCP.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jul 17, 2010 at 2:16:11 pm

Jim is right, and that is as good as it gets.
Forget about 10 bits, you have only an 8 bits source file,
nothing to gain there.
Plain ProRes is 'lossless'.

Now if you need to upscale to HD, that is another form of black magic...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 18, 2010 at 12:03:13 am

[Bouke Vahl] "Jim is right, and that is as good as it gets.
Forget about 10 bits, you have only an 8 bits source file,
nothing to gain there."

ProRes is a 10 bit codec. I always prefer to work with 10 bit codecs for the superior result you get as soon as you start grading or affecting and rendering the image. A lot of the docos I get are HDV which is also an 8 bit codec but I can tell you that grading 8 bit and not converting up to a 10 bit codec like ProRes will result in banding in the final.I do the conversion in Color which gives further option to doing the render processing in higher bit depths (12, 16 or float).

As the final edit may well have grading or other plugins used and will be seen on a big screen, stick with 10 bits to avoid banding.

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:41:22 pm

Hi, this might sound really dumb, but what exactly is the "tape master"? I mean, I understand that it would be a high quality, uncompressed file, but I'm not sure exactly what it is and how it is usually supplied from the distributor to the editor.

I think I actually could get it, but I don't know exactly what to ask for.

Thanks alot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:47:12 pm

[Hey Chong] "Hi, this might sound really dumb, but what exactly is the "tape master"?"

Instead of them making a compressed DVD, they lay off the spot to tape.

If you can get a higher quality digital file, that's better too (ProRes, etc).

Basically, you need a higher quality master than a DVD.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Hey Chong
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:01:28 pm

Thanks so much. So, if I am editing in Final Cut Pro on a mac, what would be the ideal format, codec etc.? Would it be a ProRes .mov file?

When you say I need a higher quality master than a dvd file - do you mean better dimension, or codec(dvd's are mpeg-2 i think?)

Sorry, just want to know what to say if they ask me what exactly it needs to be better quality than. Not sure if dvd's are usually the same format and quality or all different.

Thanks so much, I'm sorry if my questions sound ridiculously elementary.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 19, 2010 at 4:07:30 pm

If you don't want a tape master, then ask for the movie as a master quality QT movie (not a compressed one like h264 or similar).

ProRes would be excellent.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]